Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Diseased Leech[edit | edit source]
The Diseased Leech is a variant of the Leech distinguished by its red and orange color scheme as well as its name in the HUD. It transmits Swamp Fever, which can be cured with Lesser Antidote. The carcass of the Diseased Leech can also be harvested for significantly more Leech Blood than its normal variant.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
One of the most revolting creatures that inhabits the island is Haementeria laetus, a leech that grows as long as a man's arm. A blood parasite, the soft-bodied creature actively seeks out hosts in the swamps it calls home, propelling itself with fluttering fins and latching on with a mouth full of sharp rasping teeth.
In the wild, leeches are the primary vector for a debilitating disease commonly known as swamp fever.
Color Scheme and Regions
The Leech always spawns with the same color scheme and has no color regions.
This means it is currently impossible to make alterations to the Leech's natural spawn colors.
Drops[edit | edit source]
* The Diseased Leech drops significantly more Leech Blood than its normal variant.
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpor increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
5The Leech is incapable of drowning.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
|Base||Minimum||Activation||The Leech bites the target until it can latch onto its host. While leeched, both the host's Health and Stamina will slowly drop. If it is a Diseased Leech, Swamp Fever may be transmitted to a Human host.|
|Attack Type||Projectile Values||Torpor Values|
|Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
The Diseased Leech has the same values except of Health, which is 120.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Leech.
General[edit | edit source]
- To get rid of a leech that is already hanging on your body you need fire, e.g. a Campfire or a Cooking Pot. Jump into the burning fire for a short time, the leech will then disappear.
- To remove a leech from a creature, press and hold the Use key (E by default) and select remove leech from the menu that appears.
- There is a diseased variant of this creature (Diseased Leech). You can cure the disease by consuming Lesser Antidote.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Bug Repellant will make you invisible to all leeches even if you touch them. If you attack them, however, they will still be aggressive.
- Travel well-mounted; you need something tall enough to keep you out of the water and large enough that you stay standing on its back when dismounted. This way you can remove leeches from your mount without having to expose yourself to them.
- If your mount needs an escort in the swamps, use a flock of flyers; ground-bound escorts are likely to be leeched without you noticing, and if you do notice, you will have to step entirely off your mount to remove them, potentially exposing yourself to other leeches.
- Keep your eyes peeled; use your mount's attacks to 'plow the road' in front of you as you navigate the swamps in the hopes of killing leeches before they latch on.
- If you see a leech from far enough away, attack it with ranged weapons to kill it before it has a chance to latch on; once they do, it will not be possible to harvest them even if you remove them.
- At present, all mounts are immune to Swamp Fever; only humans and Dodos can catch it.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
- The leech does not require any serious weapons to kill, although killing it before it reaches melee range is valuable; try to finish it with ranged weapons or, failing that, hold it at a distance with spear or pike.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Make sure to bring a friend with you, or stay out of its attack range with a tall mount. If the leeches latch onto you, another player is the fastest way to remove it; if it's attached to your mount, you can remove it yourself.
- When they attach onto you, you wont regenerate stamina, and you will lose health slowly. Make sure to use that remaining stamina to get to a safe place fast.
- Leeches are often found in areas that contain other dangerous enemies. Beware they don't weaken you at a fatal moment.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
- Nothing special, it is not strong at all.
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Leech, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- Dino Dossier was revealed on 02/08/16 on Steam.
- The Leech's genus, Haementeria, refers to a modern genus of leeches which includes the Amazon Giant Leech, which can grow up to 17 inches.
- In The Center, Leeches are more commonly found in deep water that the player can submerge him or herself in.