Swimming is an important part of ARK: Survival Evolved. Players can mount tamed creatures and swim on their backs, which allows them to travel quickly and access areas that are not as easily accessible without swimming equipment. Swimming also allows players to access underwater caves.
Being submerged consumes a player's oxygen, so players must occasionally come to the surface, or use swimming equipment. Swimming also consumes stamina. Swimming on the surface of the water is slower than being completely submerged.
[edit | edit source]
Gear[edit | edit source]
- SCUBA Mask — allows players to see more clearly.
- SCUBA Tank — supplies oxygen to players wearing it.
- SCUBA Leggings — provide a large amount of hypothermal insulation.
- SCUBA Flippers — multiply a player's movement speed by 2.5x while underwater, but halve movement speed while walking on land.
Consumables[edit | edit source]
- Lazarus Chowder — Eating will significantly decrease the rate at which you consume oxygen for 10 minutes. (The ingame description mentions 15 minutes, which is an error)
Rideable Swimming Creatures[edit | edit source]
The following creatures can be mounted by players.
|Species / Common Name||Diet||Temperament*||Saddle Level||Amphibious||Anaerobic**||Surface***|
|Angler||Carnivore||Aggressive to small fry, otherwise skittish||No Saddle Required||No||Yes||No|
(Aggressive at close range)
|Diplocaulus||Carnivore||Passive||No Saddle Required||Yes****||Yes||No|
|Dunkleosteus||Carnivore||Territorial (Aggressive at close range)||40||No||Yes||No|
|Mosasaurus||Carnivore||Aggressive||75, 85 (platform)||No||Yes||No|
|Plesiosaur||Carnivore||Aggressive||60, 75 (platform)||No||Yes||No|
(Aggressive at close range)
* Their actual temperament, whatever their dossier says.
** Creatures that dont need air.
*** Tamed creatures that will surface if unridden.
**** Diplocaulus, while amphibious, cannot be ridden on land. The player must open the radial menu to ride them, while the dino is in the water; the player will be forced to demount once they reach a point where Diplocaulus and the player begin to walk.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Swimming on the surface of the water will slow you down slightly.
- Swimming also consumes Stamina. If you run out of Stamina, you will swim much slower and surfacing will be much slower, causing potential death by drowning.
- Skilling Oxygen also increases your swimming speed.
- By putting Oxygen on a non water dinosaur it will gain a bit of speed.
|Building & Development||Building • Building Guides • Farming • Cooking • Electricity • Item Quality • Spoilage • Blueprints • Inventory • Tribes • Spawn Locations • Leveling|
|Environment||Game Modes • Game Persistence • Temperature • Weather|
|Exploring||The Island • The Center • Scorched Earth • Flying • Swimming • Obelisks • Beacons • Biomes • Caves • Artifacts • Boss Arenas • Explorer Notes|
|Character||Character||Levels • Engrams • Survivor Profile • Emotes • Whistling|
|Attributes||Health • Stamina • Oxygen • Food • Water • Weight • Melee Damage • Movement Speed • Fortitude • Crafting Speed • Torpor|
|Condition||Status Effects • Diseases|
|Creatures||Domestication||Taming • Domestication • Breeding • Mutations • Incubation • Imprinting • Mate Boost|
|Stats||Base Creature Statistics • Base Creature Speeds • Base Damage • Creature Stats Calculation|
|Data Lists||Carryable By • Immobilized by • Can Damage|
|Miscellaneous||Achievements • DLC • Weapon Mechanics • Stasis|