You can help by finding its map locations in-game and updating them
You can help by finding its map locations in-game and updating them
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Extremely Aggressive. They travel in packs and have a very long aggro distance.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
A Terror Bird stands as tall as a man and is a highly aggressive carnivore. Having evolved to sprint in pursuit of small prey, Terror Birds have long legs and powerful hooked beaks designed to tear flesh and crush bone. They have traded the power of flight for this, having only vestigial wings, generally used for balance in high-speed chases in the dense forest.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Terror Bird's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Terror Bird. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Terror Bird will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command "cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>".
For example, "cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6" would color the Terror Bird's "feathers" magenta.
Region 1 is not used
Region 2 is not used
Region 3 is not used
Beack, Skin and Legs
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpor increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Terror Bird.
General[edit | edit source]
Terror Birds spawn in small clusters of three to four members, so be sure that you can handle multiple opponents. They are extremely fast and aggressive, patrolling the area while devouring anything they can get their beaks on. Be careful when exploring in their spawning areas, which includes the mountains and the rivers at the base of the mountains. Be sure to consider other animals while dealing with Terror Birds, as there are plenty where they spawn!
Strategy[edit | edit source]
If the Terror Bird is unable to reach you, it cannot harm you. Fighting on the ground is not a good idea, as the Terror Bird is adapted to running and can easily overtake a player. Try to finish them off quickly before their damage adds up, as escape is not a viable option. Oddly enough, the birds sometimes get stuck on each other and cannot move. In this rare occasion, either run, kill or knock them out before they fix themselves. This could potentially be a bug, and it may be fixed in a future patch.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Use whatever is preferred. Use ranged weaponry from afar, or take the battle to them with a pike or sword. Keep in mind that you will not be harmed if attacking from afar.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
The Terror Bird is a good sprinter, so make sure to stay away from it on open terrain if you are poorly equipped. Fast or durable mounts can evacuate you in a pinch, or they can simply aide in killing one. Be sure that other mountainous animals do not enter the battle, as a Rex or Giganotosaurus can easily turn a casual hunt into a nightmarish slaughter of beloved animals and helpful tribe members.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Similar to the Raptor, the Terror Bird can easily be trapped on rocks and attacked with either a ranged weapon or a pike. They do not have relatively high health, so they can be dispatched in a similar method to raptors. The Terror Bird, like some other creatures, has a special head hitbox, which make him take 3x more damages with headshots. If one Terror Bird charges you alone, the best weapons are bows or crossbows. Use iron arrows to make sure to one-shot it.
Taming[edit | edit source]
The Terror Bird loses torpor quickly so make sure that you are stocked up on Narcotics when you knock one out.
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||3||25||7||0:07:12|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||5||26||8||0:07:31|
|Raw Prime Meat||6||33||10||0:09:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||12||76||22||0:17:59|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||15||44||13||0:11:16|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||29||97||27||0:22:22|
|Raw Fish Meat||43||144||41||0:32:16|
|Cooked Fish Meat||85||143||40||0:31:53|
|× 30; × 13; × 4; × 2; × 2; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:02:10|
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||6||61||20||0:14:24|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||11||74||23||0:16:31|
|Raw Prime Meat||14||100||32||0:21:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||28||222||70||0:41:58|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||35||130||41||0:26:16|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||70||292||91||0:53:59|
|Raw Fish Meat||104||431||135||1:18:01|
|Cooked Fish Meat||208||431||135||1:18:01|
|× 83; × 34; × 10; × 6; × 4; × 2:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:03:56|
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||9||110||38||0:21:36|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||17||136||46||0:25:31|
|Raw Prime Meat||23||194||66||0:34:31|
|Cooked Prime Meat||45||409||140||1:07:26|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||56||243||83||0:42:01|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||112||533||182||1:26:22|
|Raw Fish Meat||168||792||270||2:06:01|
|Cooked Fish Meat||335||789||269||2:05:38|
|× 137; × 56; × 16; × 9; × 7; × 4:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:04:49|
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||12||165||60||0:28:47|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||24||216||79||0:36:01|
|Raw Prime Meat||31||290||106||0:46:31|
|Cooked Prime Meat||62||617||224||1:32:54|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||78||375||136||0:58:31|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||155||804||292||1:59:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||232||1187||431||2:54:01|
|Cooked Fish Meat||463||1185||430||2:53:38|
|× 191; × 78; × 22; × 13; × 9; × 5:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:05:20|
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||15||225||86||0:35:59|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||30||292||112||0:45:01|
|Raw Prime Meat||40||403||154||1:00:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||79||836||320||1:58:23|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||99||509||195||1:14:16|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||197||1084||415||2:31:54|
|Raw Fish Meat||295||1598||611||3:41:16|
|Cooked Fish Meat||590||1598||611||3:41:16|
|× 245; × 100; × 28; × 16; × 12; × 6:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:05:40|
|Kibble (Gallimimus Egg)||18||288||115||0:43:11|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||36||371||148||0:54:01|
|Raw Prime Meat||48||510||203||1:12:01|
|Cooked Prime Meat||96||1063||424||2:23:51|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||120||648||259||1:30:01|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||240||1381||551||3:05:03|
|Raw Fish Meat||359||2029||809||4:29:16|
|Cooked Fish Meat||718||2029||809||4:29:16|
|× 299; × 122; × 34; × 19; × 14; × 7:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:05:55|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Preferred Food[edit | edit source]
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Terror Bird is very fast and will usually circle around you, which can make it difficult to properly hit. It is recommended to lock the Terror Bird in place to not waste ammunition by either grabbing it with an Argentavis or Quetzal, lure it into a prepared trap like a 1x1 stone house without ceiling, or use a Bola.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- Scout: The terror bird can be very fast, and together with its gliding ability, good turn radius, and high damage there is little that can stop you from exploring, except for maybe large pools of water. However, its low carry weight makes it difficult to transport more than you and your basic equipment. (Upgrade speed, stamina, and to your choice health/damage/weight)
- Mountain Jumper: If you frequently travel mountains but do not want to use a flying mount, the Terror Bird is an excellent ground alternative. With its gliding ability you can quickly cover chasms or depart from the mountain all together, all without having to deal with falling damage. With upgraded damage and health it usually can deal with all attackers, however it is difficult to carry resources home. (Upgrade health, stamina, and damage)
- War Mount: Similar to a Raptor with higher damage and the ability to glide. Its circling attack pattern can be very confusing in PvP, if sent into combat unmounted. Additional speed can make it difficult for an enemy player to hit the Terror Bird. (Upgrade health, Melee damage, and speed)
- Sniper's Mount: It has the mobility to get you around and out of trouble during your field sniping. When hunting or in PvP, it will serve a sniper well.
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Terror Bird, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- The dossier was revealed on 08/25/15 
- To glide press and hold the jump button (default Space). The Terror Bird will glide with the same speed it was running when you jumped.
- If you stop gliding the bird will start falling even if you hit space again afterwards. Flapping its wings will however reduce the falling damage.
- The Terror Bird's "genus", Phorusrhacidae, actually refers to the family informally known as terror birds rather than a particular genus. The skull that is seen in its dossier appears to be of the famous terror bird Phorusrhacos. If this is the true identity of the Terror Bird seen in ARK, its true scientific name would be Phorusrhacos rapidesultor.
- They can be picked up by the Argentavis and Quetzal.
- The dossier image of the Terror Bird shows it with a vestigial dew claw, but the in-game model of the creature lacks this feature.
- Despite spawning most commonly in the mountains, real life Terror Birds were plains dwellers that hunted out in the open.