ARK Survival Evolved Wiki:Admin noticeboard/Archive 3
|This is an archive page of ARK Survival Evolved Wiki:Admin noticeboard. Do not edit this page.
New sections can be added at the current talk page.
- 1 Notice to All Users Regarding the Youtube Voting
- 2 New infobox templates
- 3 No response regarding the "claim the wiki" progress
- 4 Chatroom
- 5 Raft Bug
- 6 Ichthyosaurus stuck
- 7 Main page
- 8 Online Users
- 9 PS4 Release
- 10 Image upload guidelines
- 11 A new carnivore for the Snow Biome
- 12 Recent dino dossiers : Cnidaria
- 13 Dino Levels
- 14 "Crafting" Section on resource articles
- 15 Supply drops
- 16 Creature weight
- 17 Vandal
Notice to All Users Regarding the Youtube Voting
The voting is not restricted to the wiki Admins, as may have been accidentally implied and so far has been the norm. Rather, any of the Top 20 Editors (with the exception of the poster, if such a situation arises) are eligible to vote on whether or not they think one of the proposed videos is a suitable addition to the wiki.
Furthermore, users outside the top 20 are still welcome to offer opinions on the video even though their votes don't count, although they could potentially be made to count if the participation of eligible voters is low enough.
And as an added notice to our resident Youtubers, videos can also be proposed to replace an existing one, whether it be an updated version of your own or if you think yours is better than the current one. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 22:18, 19 August 2015 (UTC)
New infobox templates
I would like to share with you something that I've been working on this week: New infobox templates! They look a little different than the old ones, but I don't expect that to be an issue. What's exciting is that they allow more information to be added than before, and many of the parameters are now easier to use. The documentation for the templates is not done yet, but I don't think that should stop us from using them. Here's a list of templates and an example of what they look like, as I have already added them to a few select pages:
Please let me know if there's anything that can be improved, especially if any parameters need to be added. Also, I'll be adding an infobox specifically for creatures and recipes later. Oh, and I'm sorry about all the change log spam you've had to endure while I made this, such is the nature of a wiki.
- Dang they look good, well done! I sneaked a peak on your user page a few days ago... :D --Z3ther (talk) 18:25, 25 July 2015 (UTC)
- Very nice I do like them a lot nice work --SharpShot gif (talk) 18:10, 1 August 2015 (UTC)
- Do you think we should start replacing the old info boxes with these? Since I'm going through a lot of pages adding xp, I could relatively easily change them to the new infobox template. Alex42000 (talk) 21:17, 2 August 2015 (UTC)
- Replacing them is the plan, yes, but I'm working on a script for my bot to do this, but don't let that stop you from converting them if you want to! The script is mostly done, actually, I just haven't had the time to hook it up to my bot yet, been a bit busy in the last week. :] -- IllegalOpcode (talk) 18:52, 3 August 2015 (UTC)
- Just an update: I haven't had time to finish this yet and won't have time to look at it until the weekend. But I haven't forgotten! -- IllegalOpcode (talk) 17:16, 12 August 2015 (UTC)
- Okay so I'm happy to say that I'm finally done with replacing all the old infoboxes! Every article should now have the new infobox templates ready. If there are any articles that still have the old infobox template, let me know. --TMHWK (talk) 11:09, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
No response regarding the "claim the wiki" progress
Dear Admins, a while ago I have started the process for claiming this wiki. Until now I havent heard anything yet :) I would be glad to receive your feedback. I am currently admin and founder of Germany's biggest ARK community. Cheers, Tom — Preceding unsigned comment added by ArkforumDOTde (talk • contribs) at 9:19, September 10, 2015(UTC). Please sign your posts with
- I would expect that somebody asking to be a Guardian would know to sign their posts with ~~~~. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 21:59, 10 September 2015 (UTC)
- I can't speak for the admins on why you have not got any feedback however if I was to take a guess its because you have not been active or done a lot of edits/contributions on this wiki --SharpShot gif (talk) 13:03, 11 September 2015 (UTC)
- Mostly because you weren't very active when you requested it, but also because I thought of it as bit of conflict of interest. If you want to have a German translation on the Gamepedia network, feel free to check out the Help Wiki 's Translation Guidelines.
I would really like to see a chat option on this website(So we can socialize more here, and get the option to get help a lot faster by direct messaging.), I have no idea if it is possible for you guys to add plugins or whatsoever.
So hereby my official request for a "chatroom". :)
- Probably the best we can offer right now is an IRC chatroom that we can setup somewhere on a page or if people are really interested can put together. Most of the admins are using skype, steam or other means to chat more in depth, so if there's someone specific, feel free to hit up their contacts and go from there. --Z3ther (talk) 17:54, 11 September 2015 (UTC)
- Sounds good to me! If you guys can setup that IRC chatroom, I'll definitely join. :) FissaElectro (talk) 07:56, 14 September 2015 (UTC)
- Is this on the to-do list? If so, what can I do to help? FissaElectro (talk) 14:27, 15 September 2015 (UTC)
The structure i built on the raft is not connected and is floating and when you try to enter you are thrown out— Preceding unsigned comment added by 184.108.40.206 (talk • contribs) at 3:39, September 12, 2015(UTC). Please sign your posts with
- We here at the ARK Wiki are a collection of players helping to spread information on the game -- none among us are involved in the development process any more than you are. Bugs should be reported on the Steam forums or emailed to [email protected]. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 03:59, 12 September 2015 (UTC)
i now have 12 Ichthyosaurus out of 12 i can only use 3 all the other are stuck on the shore and rocks in the water is there a way to unstuck or will there be ??? — Preceding unsigned comment added by Bobzool (talk • contribs) at 02:47, 13 September 2015 (UTC). Please sign your posts with
- This page is for notices for the Wiki-admins. Gameplay questions are best asked on the steam forums. -- Cadaeib (talk) 03:10, 13 September 2015 (UTC)
How about changing the "Current Patch Notes"-block to a "Current Patch and News"-block? Content could be
- the patch-notes (as is)
- links to news, like the tournaments, current ARK digests (Q&A-sessions with devs), anouncements
- link to the page Upcoming Features
- I'm all for this. It would make keeping up on things much easier to do straight from the wiki.
-- Minemodoverlord (talk) 14:53, 13 September 2015 (UTC)
- That would be nice, and it would fill some of the empty space too. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 21:17, 13 September 2015 (UTC)
- To make things easier, one could just add this piece of code under the patchnotes to display the official ARK-twitter-feed:
<twitterfeed nobackground noheader nofooter noborder theme=light linkcolor=#000000 width=400 height=500>survivetheark</twitterfeed>(adjusting width and height accordingly), and additional as mentioned I would include a link to Upcoming Features as this may interest people. --Cadaeib (talk) 18:27, 16 September 2015 (UTC)
Hey, I would really like a page that shows which users are online.
I have no idea if that is possible, but it's just an idea.
- I usually watch the recent changes to see who's online. It would be neat to see something more accurate and dynamic, but I don't know if there is a way. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 01:03, 18 September 2015 (UTC)
i wonder when ark will come out for Ps4. you gave us a date for Xbox one but not ps4. does that mean i wont be coming out. i think you wont make it for ps4 for because you did not give us any info about this. — Preceding unsigned comment added by Theshadow1590 (talk • contribs) at 22:17, September 18, 2015(UTC). Please sign your posts with
- You're right about one thing: we did not give you any info about that. That's because we here at the ARK Wiki are a collection of players helping to spread information about the game -- none of us are involved in the development process any more than you are. If you wish to get in contact with the developers, your best bet is to ask on the Steam forums. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 03:47, 19 September 2015 (UTC)
Image upload guidelines
- Not that I'm aware of, but it'd be useful to have. I don't know if there are templates by gamepedia already (haven't found one), Wikipedia has an article about image uploading. If there is nothing prepared I suggest to take from there. --Cadaeib (talk) 22:25, 25 September 2015 (UTC)
- As long as it's game-related (images of the IRL creature are not game-related) and doesn't violate any of the listed rules or the Curse TOS, you can upload pretty much whatever you like, just be mindful of the copyright. However, images that go unused may be deleted after an indefinite amount of time. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 03:21, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- Actually, it's not necessarily a rule, but gifs should be avoided. It's rather annoying to try and read something and have your eyes drawn away by movement. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 03:38, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- IMHO gifs aren't problematic because of animation, but rather because of size. If when going to a Gigantopithecus article I have to load a 3MB low quality gif video - it's getting out of hand. And that's hardly the worst offender - eg. Emotes loads 19 MB on a good morning. SkywalkerPL (talk) 10:02, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- Actually, it's not necessarily a rule, but gifs should be avoided. It's rather annoying to try and read something and have your eyes drawn away by movement. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 03:38, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- OK, reading these replies I see that you don't want to have any mandatory policy restricting the content of images. In that case - how about a list of recommendations?
- What I'd love to see is something along these lines to address multiple issues with the current images (mind you - these are just to give a generic idea, they'd have to be re-worded for any proper article):
- Epic graphic settings, or at a very least - high. Mesh level details tuned all the way right. If needed - user can click escape, change settings, take a screenshot, go escape gain, change back to settings that give him acceptable FPS. Also recommended options that require restart: High Quality Materials, High Quality VFX, Sub Surface Scattering, Screen Space Ambient Occlusion and a disabled Film Gain. Images to avoid, stuff like that: File:SeedlingInPlot.jpg.
- Interface must be disabled, unless specifically showing an interface features. Images to avoid: Trike - lvl 2 (Dead) Decomposes In: 4:54
- All screenshots might be taken during daytime, sunrise or sunset are acceptable. Night time screenshots are not, unless you are specifically showing features limited to the night. Screenshots during the rain are not acceptable either. Images to avoid: this again: File:SeedlingInPlot.jpg or "white" Rex
- All subjects must be on a contrasting background (exceptions can be made for locations - though even then perspective can be manipulated to get a better exposure). If subject is dark - take a screenshot of it on a beach, or other bright terrain. If subject is light - take a screenshot of it on a gray rocky terrain, or other dark backgrounds. Images to avoid: this again or that or this.
- Subjects cannot be painted in any way unless topic of the article is specifically about using warpaint.
Images to avoid: o_O
- When showing any specific item on the dinosaur or player - camera should be pointing right at the item and it should take large a portion of the image. Images to avoid: File:2015-09-17 00002.jpg, these were even in a full size screenshot I can't see any details of the subject
- There should be no other structures on a screenshot unless they are part of the subject, or necessary for maintenance / deployment (eg. irrigation for farms, or foundations for walls). Images to avoid: Base show-off
- When taking screenshots hide any tools or weapons. Images to avoid: Hatchet out of nowhere
- Animated gifs should not be inserted directly into the article, instead a static thumb should be used, with a description stating that the user should click it to play the animation. See Doedicurus for an example.
- When making a "to scale" image:
- Use default (or close to default) character. Can be male or female, but cannot have any odd proportions (especially important to overall height of the character) or non-default colors. Either with no clothes, or a full, unpainted armor sets. No skins can be used.
- Alternatively for small creatures a Campfire can be used as a point of reference, while for the largest creatures a Beacon can be used.
- Player always must be standing upright, on a ground, next to the dinosaur. Images to avoid: this
- Camera could be at a right angle to the side of dinosaur or it's front, though 45º shots are acceptable too as long as they don't massacre the perspective making comparison useless.
- All of the general guidelines still apply - no screenshots during the night, no screenshots during the rain, no screenshots of a dark dinosaurs on a dark backgrounds, no low settings, etc. etc.
- All images should have a description of what is on a screenshot with a link to the appropriate articles. When possible use ItemLink template (this will make it easier to recognize what is what on an images with multiple subjects).
- Opinions? SkywalkerPL (talk) 10:02, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- Sounds good for me. I guess a good place for this list would be the Style Guide, but I'd like to hear MrPie's and/or IO's opinion as creators of the style-guide first. What I miss in this list are conventions for filenames. Filenames consisting only of timestamps should be forbidden and some conventions on how to name the images would be good, for example Dino-related images should start always with the creature name, then 'Dossier', 'ASIG' etc. should be added (or vice versa, but should be consistent). --Cadaeib (talk) 14:02, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
- These are good suggestions, I think I'll pick out some of the most important ones and put them in the Upload Text. I don't think the style guide would really be the best place for it. However, I don't fully agree with all of them. Featured images on articles (that is, images that get integrated into the article rather than put in the gallery) should definitely look like some care was exercised in taking the screenshot. Gallery screenshots are okay to be miscellaneous, as long as they aren't obscenely bad or misleading, but if the gallery starts to get crowded, then the lower quality ones will be kicked out. Usable titles are also really good and I try to move images around appropriately when I see timestamps and other random numbers in the title. Images from lower graphical settings are acceptable (there's a conversation about this somewhere in the noticeboard archives), but are more than welcome to be replaced by higher-quality versions of the same or similar shot. Overall, the wiki is community-run, so it wouldn't be right to expect professional photography for everything. (I hate that blue ape too though). --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 18:02, 26 September 2015 (UTC)
A new carnivore for the Snow Biome
Im suggesting that the ark developers add a arctic bear of some description, to add more variety to the enemies — Preceding unsigned comment added by Therealcowpotato (talk • contribs) at 05:31, 30 September 2015(UTC). Please sign your posts with
- This Wiki is not read by the developers of the game. See note below
Hello there, we are sorry to hear of your troubles. Unfortunately, since none of the editors here are developers, we can neither help with issues directly related to the game nor influence any facet of its development any more than you can. Instead, you should try posting on the Steam forums or emailing the developers at [email protected] for help in-game or suggestions related to future development. Regardless, we hope you succeed in your endeavors. --Cadaeib (talk) 10:11, 30 September 2015 (UTC)
Recent dino dossiers : Cnidaria
I noticed when checking out the cnidaria in the recent Dino dossiers section of the main page that tapping of the picture of the dossier takes you to the kairku page while tapping the name takes you to the Cnidaria page. PLZ fix bugs me heaps. Thank you し(*･∀･)／♡＼(･∀･*)ノ — Preceding unsigned comment added by Wilberforce2 (talk • contribs) at 13:39, 2 October 2015 (MEST). Please sign your posts with
Aight, so on my Non-Dedicated server I will fly around on my bird and I've noticed I've never seen any big dinos over level 40 I don't why, How can I change this, I feel like their may be other people who have experienced this and this is why I say it should be posted somewhere. Otherwise, Thanks for your help if you can!— Preceding unsigned comment added by IDontListen (talk • contribs) at 02:29, 3 October 2015 (MEST). Please sign your posts with
- This is not the right place for this, as this is a wiki about the game. To discuss the game go to the Steam forums. If you're playing a local game you can try to reset all wild dinos by typing
admincheat destroywilddinosin the console (press Tab ↹).--Cadaeib (talk) 00:42, 3 October 2015 (UTC)
"Crafting" Section on resource articles
As you know, the "Crafting" section on most item pages usually shows what can be crafted with that item. This is great and it's not a problem with items that haven't that many uses in crafting. However, some items, especially resources, are used in a LOT of crafting recipes. I'm talking about items like Wood here with 100+ uses in crafting, or even Fiber with 150+ uses.
Most of these pages' "crafting" sections are really outdated (e.g. Fiber) and I've been thinking about updating them, however it seems unreasonable to me to include all 150 items that can be crafted with fiber. I think for items like Narcotic, all uses in crafting should be listed, as there aren't that many, but other pages just get way too crammed with all their uses in crafting (like Metal Ingot).
As we already have categories covering the crafting usage of every item, I think a good solution would be to just name a few exemplary crafting uses, instead of listing every single one. E. g. on Metal Ingot, instead of listing every Metal Irriation Pipe or Weapon, the article would just say "Metal Irrigation Pipes" and "many Weapons" are crafted with Metal Ingots, and then link to the Category:Crafted with Metal Ingot. I think that would be a good solution. Opinions? --TMHWK (talk) 12:31, 3 October 2015 (UTC)
The page for supply drops already States which items are in which drops and all that, which is nice, but when your in a pinch and u want to check a resource's sources (lol), you go to IT'S page not the BEACON page, to check. I've noticed among friends that they get annoyed having to go to the beacon page to find out. I have started writing on the resource/item pages what beacons it can be found in, but I am on man with not a lot of time. Can I have some help doing this please?, i trust this is a good idea. Wilberforce2 (talk) 12:07, 4 October 2015 (UTC)
- I'd consider start at the items where it is the most important to know. After an hour in the game nobody goes to a beacon to get a thatch roof, but to get an advanced rifle bullet blueprint it's worth looking for. And this info would be good in the 'Notes'-Section, so it can be seen more clearly as in the floating description-text. Also consider to link the word beacon. As people see this addition they might start to like that extra info and add it to the other items too. --Cadaeib (talk) 12:25, 4 October 2015 (UTC)
As the title suggests, creature weight!, with the coming addition of the Quetzal, animals as large as the MAMMOTH can be carried. Since the creature weight is added to the flying creatures weight, this would be an ideal way to record the weight of creatures. For now, with Pteranodon and Argentavis, we can measure the weight of smaller creatures (pretty much all medium sized creatures up to about megalaceros). We should start now, and I will help, to record the weight of creatures and add them to the pages, most likely in the info box. Wilberforce2 (talk) 01:10, 7 October 2015 (UTC)
- Who is it, and give example of a page they have vandalised Wilberforce2 (talk) 01:57, 13 October 2015 (UTC)
- He did. The link he provided leads to the user and their "contributions". Sharpshot and Cad dealt with the vandal earlier today after this was posted, although I suppose one of us should have responded here to be clear that the issue was resolved. Sorry about that. --Mr Pie 5 (talk) 02:06, 13 October 2015 (UTC)