You can help by finding its map locations in-game and updating them
The Achatina (ah-kah-tee-na) is a species of Invertebrate in ARK: Survival Evolved.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Taming
- 3 Combat
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Additional Notes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Found mostly in marshes and jungles, Achatina limusegnis is a very slow, very non-threatening land mollusk. It might be the simplest creature on the Island to hunt, and while it only provides a small amount of meat and chitin, an easy meal is always of value on the Island.
Unlike nearly every other creature on the Island, Achatina does not defecate normally. Instead, it secretes a thick, sticky substance. Achatina leaves trails of this slime, but the trails are so thin that they crumble to dust quickly.
There is a very disgusting, but useful fact about Achatina that causes tribes to seek to tame them: its secretions are chemically similar to the "Cementing Paste" and "Organic Polymer" used by many tribes for building materials. Tamed Achatina naturally accumulates this slime over time, which can then be collected at the tribe's convenience.
Legend has it that Achatina can be tamed with a special "cake" made from harvested crops & resources.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Achatina is one of the few truly docile creatures on the Island.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Achatina has all of the features typical of any other genus of snail, with the notable exception of its remarkable size. The shells are very ornate with streaks of bright color and sharp ridges that provide protection from the island's predators; the rest of its soft body is also typically characterized by vibrant or earthy coloration.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Achatina's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Achatina. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Achatina will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command "cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>".
For example, "cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6" would color the Achatina's "body" magenta.
Region 2 is not used
Drops[edit | edit source]
Harvest[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpor increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
5The Achatina is incapable of drowning.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Taming[edit | edit source]
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||5||16||4||2||0:10:01|
|× 5; × 3; × 1; × 1; × 1; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:02:46|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||10||52||11||6||0:20:01|
|× 14; × 6; × 2; × 1; × 1; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:04:34|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||15||100||21||11||0:30:01|
|× 23; × 10; × 3; × 2; × 2; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:05:49|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||20||160||34||17||0:40:01|
|× 32; × 13; × 4; × 3; × 2; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:06:42|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||25||229||50||25||0:50:01|
|× 41; × 17; × 5; × 3; × 2; × 1:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:07:25|
|Sweet Vegetable Cake||30||305||67||34||1:00:01|
|× 50; × 21; × 6; × 4; × 3; × 2:|
|Torpor-depletion: , Time until all torpor is depleted: 00:08:00|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Preferred Food[edit | edit source]
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
Since damage is significantly reduced by the shell, it is best to hit it on the soft, fleshy parts instead. If it takes enough damage, it will retreat into its shell, making it very easy to kill it before the torpor from tranquilizers can knock it out. Be mindful of how bloody the Achatina gets, and use Shocking Tranquilizer Darts or normal Tranquilizer Darts to minimize this risk.
Food after taming[edit | edit source]
Note that all Stacks of Cake will go onto a cooldown after consumption during which the game will temporarily think there is no food in inventory.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Achatina.
General[edit | edit source]
Shortly after being engaged, the Achatina will retreat into its shell: it will neither flee nor fight back. Damage dealt to the Achatina will be heavily reduced for as long as it is inside of its shell.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Although the Achatina itself is not dangerous, its surroundings are usually filled with predators. Clear the area of hostile creatures before attempting to tame.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Any weapon or creature will be able to kill an Achatina, although fists are ill-advised as you may kill yourself with recoil damage before killing the Achatina.
Weaknesses[edit | edit source]
Wild Achatina appear to take damage over time if not in or near a body of water. Domesticated ones, however, do not appear to have this weakness. Achatina - wild and domesticated - do not fight back when attacked.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Organic Polymer Storage[edit | edit source]
Provides a Spoil Multiplier of 3x for Organic Polymer within its inventory (90 minutes). As they can be carried, similar to a Dodo, Achatina can be carried while hunting Kairuku to extend the lifespan of the Organic Polymer harvested.
Cementing Paste and Organic Polymer Supplier[edit | edit source]While Wander is enabled, the Achatina will passively produce both Organic Polymer and Achatina Paste in its inventory.
- Passively produces 1 Achatina Paste per minute within its inventory, up to 100.
- Passively produces 1 Organic Polymer every 45 minutes, up to 100.
- Due to the spoil timer, the first in a chain of three will spoil as the third is produced, making the effective rate 2 Organic Polymer every 90 minutes. Likewise, due to multiple stacks spoiling concurrently, an Achatina will obtain 12 Organic Polymer after 1080 minutes and then alternate between 11 and 12 thereafter.
- Bug The Achatina gains complete stacks of Organic Polymer and Achatina Paste if the player uploads them at a Beacon or Obelisk, then downloads them back and enables wandering before checking their inventory.
- Wild and Tamed Achatina will also passively produce Achatina Paste on the ground instead of feces. Paste dropped this way has a short despawn timer and must be manually collected. Tamed Achatina do not need to be on wander for this, but the paste will spawn underneath them if they aren't, so the player must pick up the Achatina or use a Whip to collect it.
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Additional Notes[edit | edit source]
- The Dino Dossier for Achatina was revealed on July 15, 2015 in the ARK Digest #10 
- The Achatina is able to wear headgear. The headgear will be placed on its shell.
- The Achatina can be picked up by the player and transported manually. If you are trying to get a tamed Achatina from one place to another, it is best to pick it up and run it there yourself. (Players are still able to ride mounts while carrying Achatina.)
Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Achatina, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- Achatina is part of a genus of snails that still exists to this day, although none have ever been as big as the dossier shows. It is part of a genus of air-breathing, tropical land snails, terrestrial pulmonate gastropod mollusks in the family Achatinidae.