Alpha Creatures are bigger and stronger versions of creatures in Ark Survival Evolved and they are not tameable.
Overview[edit | edit source]
Alpha Creatures were released in v193.0 as an additional level of difficulty due to community requests that the existing Dinosaurs were too easy to kill. Alpha Creatures are some of the strongest dinosaurs on the Island, only dwarfed by the Giganotosaurus and Titanosaur. Compared to their respective non-alpha variants, they have significantly more health (around 15 times more than regular variants) as well as boosts in attack power and movement speed. Additionally, unlike their normal variants, they can deal damage to (and destroy) stone structures, although the damage they deal to the structures is rather limited. They are more aggressive and can be identified by a distinctive red glow around the center of their bodies. If you encounter an alpha as a new player, or as a low-level character, it is strongly suggested that you evade the Alpha.
There is still a debate about the Alphas and how they should be balanced throughout the game. From v196.0, server admins have the ability to disable Alphas on their servers. Additionally, Alpha damage to buildings was reduced by 80% and Alpha Spawning was limited to more inland or mountainous regions of the island, though this does not stop them from wandering towards the beach.
Known Alpha Species[edit | edit source]
|Common / In Game NameName||Released||Diet||Temperament||TameableTame||RideableRide||BreedableBreed||Saddle LevelSaddle||Feces SizeFeces||Entity ID|
|Alpha Deathworm||Carnivore||Extremely Territorial||No||No||No||N/A||None||MegaDeathworm_Character_BP_C|
|Alpha Fire Wyvern||Carnivore||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||None||MegaWyvern_Character_BP_Fire_C|
|Alpha Surface Reaper King||Carnivore||Aggressive||No||No||No||N/A||None||MegaXenomorph_Character_BP_Male_Surface_C|
|Iceworm Queen||Carnivore||Extremely Territorial||No||No||No||N/A||None||Iceworm_Queen_Character_BP_C|
There are 15 Alpha Creatures (including variants).
Change Log[edit | edit source]
- Alphas now drop special trophies
- Added Alpha Megalodon
- Alpha Mosasaurs now drop quality fishing rods
- Alpha Wyvern and Alpha Deathworm Trophy heads
- Added Alpha Mosasaurus
- Alpha predators now give 45% reduced xp
- Alpha predators can no longer be picked up
- Alpha predators damage vs Stone structures reduced by 80%.
- Alpha predators now tend to only appear inland or in mountainous regions.
- Alpha predators natural targeting range reduced by 40%, making it easier to deliberately avoid or escape.
- Alpha predators now ALWAYS drop survivor inventories when killed (similar to Carno and Rex).
- Added an option to disable specific Alpha predators ("NPC Replacements") on custom servers.
- You can no longer upload or download forcetamed creatures via ARK Tribute (Obelisks) that are not actually tamable (i.e. Alpha predators).
- Admin forcetamed creatures that are not actually tamable are automatically destroyed upon map reloading (i.e. Alpha predators).
- Alpha predators no longer damage metal structures, only stone structures as intended.
- Can no longer pick up Alpha Raptors using flyers.
- Alpha predators now consume corpses properly.
- Alpha predator's attacks no longer damage riders directly (consistent with regular dino attacks).
- Alpha predators now give 4x the regular amount of resources and nothing but prime meat!
- Added Alpha versions of Carnotaurus and Utahraptor—they buff less than the Alpha Rex, however.
- Alpha Dinos now damage stone structures.
- New rare "Alpha" T-Rex can be found that is bigger and meaner than the regular T-Rex with distinct color schema, and gives a unique cosmetic (and a ton of XP and resources) if you defeat it. It also buffs the resistance and damage of nearby carnos around it due to its Alpha-pack dominating status. You can't tame it... yet... but we'd like feedback on whether the community would be interested in more of this direction.