So far, there are 11 tiers of armor in the game. These armor sets can either be crafted, or found in supply drops.
Full Set Overview[edit | edit source]
|Armor Type||Unlock Level||Armor rating||Cold protection||Heat protection||Weight||Durability (Ø)||Found in Beacon||Ingredients|
|Cloth Gear||3||50||40||60||3||25||White Beacon||145 × Fiber, 10 × Hide|
|Hide Gear||15||100||85||-25||10.5||45||Green Beacon||82 × Hide, 33 × Fiber|
|Fur Gear||23||200||249||-105||34||125||Deep Sea Loot Crate||320 × Pelt, Hair, or Wool, 53 × Metal Ingot, 40 × Hide, 18 × Fiber|
|Desert Cloth Gear1||28||200||31||130||16||45||Green beacon (only on Scorched Earth)||77 × Hide, 33 × Fiber, 48 × Silk, 10 × Crystal, 3 × Silica Pearls|
|Ghillie Gear||33||160||24||155||24||45||Deep Sea Loot Crate||26 × Organic Polymer, 40 × Hide, 18 × Fiber|
|Chitin Gear||37||250||43||-35||22||50||Blue Beacon, Deep Sea Loot Crate||82 × Chitin, 40 × Hide, 18 × Fiber|
|Flak Gear||56||500||60||-25||30||120||Yellow Beacon, Deep Sea Loot Crate||53 × Metal Ingot, 40 × Hide, 18 × Fiber|
|Hazard Suit 2||68||325||50||300||23||85.5||Unknown Beacon, Deep Sea Loot Crate||155 × Hide, 235 × Fiber, 85 × Blue Gem, 72 × Polymer, 166 × Crystal, 125 × Congealed Gas Ball|
|SCUBA Gear3||81||5||70 (270)||-15||23||185||Deep Sea Loot Crate||87 × Hide, 23 × Fiber, 12 × Chitin or Keratin, 16 × Metal Ingot, 6 × Cementing Paste, 7 × Silica Pearls, 43 × Polymer, 10 × Crystal|
|Riot Gear||98||575||60||-16.8||42||120||Deep Sea Loot Crate||245 × Polymer, 138 × Silica Pearls, 40 × Hide, 18 × Fiber, 35 × Crystal|
|TEK Armor||After beating all bosses||900||255||208||23||120||No||600 × Polymer, 2250 × Metal Ingot, 600 × Crystal, 100 × Element, 275 × Black Pearl|
1The Desert Cloth Armor is part of the Scorched Earth-DLC.
2The Hazard Suit is part of the Aberration-DLC.
3The SCUBA Gear is a unique type of Armor as it only consists of 4 parts (no hand-slot item), with each part granting a special ability.
- Provides 10 armor points per piece (50 total).
- Drops from level 3 white beam loot crates.
- Grants low insulation from heat.
- Breaks very easily from strong attacks and offers little damage reduction.
- Offers insulation and defense to low-level players.
- Provides 20 armor points per piece (100 total).
- Drops from level 15 green beam loot crates.
- Grants insulation from the cold and passable damage reduction.
- Provides 40 armor points per piece (200 total).
- Transporting goods can be difficult when wearing/carrying this armor due to how much it weighs in comparison to other sets.
- Provides the highest insulation from the cold, but significantly lowers heat resistance.
- Provides no cold insulation while in water, making it useless when diving.
- Provides 40 armor points per piece (200 total).
- Offers moderate physical protection, low cold insulation, and excellent heat insulation.
- Provides 32 armor points per piece (160 total).
- Functions as a camouflage suit, as it reduces enemy sight range by 50%.
- Provides excellent insulation from heat and moderate insulation from the cold.
- Provides 50 armor points per piece (250 total).
- Drops from level 25 blue beam loot crates.
- Provides poor insulation from climatic conditions and offers adequate damage reduction.
- Reduces heat insulation and provides minimal cold insulation.
- Provides 100 armor points per piece (500 total).
- Drops from level 45 yellow beam loot crates.
- Provides poor insulation from climatic conditions and offers superior damage reduction.
- Reduces heat insulation and provides little cold insulation.
- Provides 65 armor per piece (325 total).
- Provides immunity to radiation.
- Must have all pieces equipped for proper radiation immunity.
- Provides the best heat insulation of any armor set, in addition to minimal cold insulation.
- Provides 0 armor points per piece, except for the SCUBA Leggings, which provide 5 armor points (5 total).
- Although it provides minimal defense, this armor set is very useful for exploring locations where you can not easily access clean air. It grants the wearer unlimited oxygen, stamina, clear underwater vision, and drastically increased swimming speed.
- Usually useless when worn on land due to slowing its wearer and obstructing vision.
- This armor set only consists of 4 parts, as there are no SCUBA Gloves.
- Reduces the amount of damage taken from poisonous air in the Swamp Cave.
- Provides 115 armor points per piece (575 total).
- Provides poor defense against climatic conditions and a very good defense against players and dinos.
- Reduces the amount of Torpor taken, which makes it harder to knock the wearer out.
- Provides 180 armor points per piece (900 total).
- Provides modest insulation from the cold and offers extraordinary damage reduction.
- Each part of this armor set grants different special abilities. When the full set is equipped, it provides night vision, a jet pack, a heavy hitting punch, fall .
- Provides +200 insulation against climatic conditions when charged with element
- As the ultimate armor of Ark, a player must obtain all necessary Tekgrams from Bosses before being able to wear this armor.
Armor's protection from damage[edit | edit source]
- The damage modifier granted by Armor is calculated as follows, which can also be expressed as damage reduction:
damage modifier = 100 / (100 + armor) damage taken = damage * damage modifier damage reduction = (1 - damage modifier) * 100
- For example, 70 armor has a damage modifier of 0.588 which equates to 41.2% damage reduction. This formula is subject to diminishing returns.
- Test Case
- With 0 armor and being hit by a grenade, resulting in 375 damage.
damage modifier = 100 / (100 + 0) damage modifier = 1 damage taken = 375 * 1 damage taken = 375
- With 551.5 armor and being hit by a grenade, resulting in 57.6 damage.
damage modifier = 100 / (100 + 551.5) damage modifier = 0.153 damage taken = 375 * 0.153 damage taken = 57.6
- Cheat sheet
The following table is based on the default/primitive armor value of the game's 11 armor sets.
|Armor Type||Pieces in set||Armor rating||Damage Reduced By|
|Desert Cloth Armor||5||200||66.67%|
Against most creatures, for every ~16 damage mitigated by armor, each piece of equipped armor loses a point of durability.
Each piece of Tek Armor has 300 durability and can mitigate 300 * 16 = 4800 damage before breaking. With a 90% damage reduction, a survivor can take 4800 / 0.9 = ~5333 of unmitigated damage before their Tek Armor breaks.
Tamed Dino Clothing[edit | edit source]
With the exception of Tek Helmet, most of the head pieces can be worn by specific tamed dinos.
- Direwolf (on ARK: Survival Evolved Mobile)
- Mammoth (on ARK: Survival Evolved Mobile)
- Procoptodon (on ARK: Survival Evolved Mobile)
- Ferox (Large)
References[edit | edit source]