|This article is about content exclusive to the DLC: Genesis: Part 1|
|This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4, Epic Games.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
February 25, 2020
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Astrocetus is considered to be a high tier tame because of its unique ability to warp through hyperspace.
When spotted, the Astrocetus will stay still for about 2 seconds, then start to move very slowly, moving it's fins up and down like a modern whale.
In between 8 seconds intervals, the Astrocetus will shoot colorful cosmic energy from it's blowhole, which may be a form of reoxygenating, as do modern whales by breathing through their blowholes, blasting out moisture. This colorful blast will momentarily allow the whale to gain speed. As it gains momentum, the energy emitting from it's fins will get larger and glow brighter, but will dim when the creature slows down.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
At first glance, the Astrocetus bears a close resemblance to a modern baleen whale, such as the humpback, but it has 14 eyes, 7 on each side, 4 pectoral fins, 2 pelvic fins and small slender wings that go all the way down each side of the body and ending in a point rather than two flukes. It also has translucent skin, thus enabling the player to see its insides.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Astrocetus's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Astrocetus. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Astrocetus will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Astrocetus's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Astrocetus's "wing edges" magenta.
Region 3 is not used
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
|Movement||Base Speed||Sprinting Speed||Stamina|
|Bite||Stamina Cost||Attack Range||Description|
|Attack Type||Damage||Projectile Values||Torpor Values||Status Effect: Stamina||Status Effect: Torpidity|
|Life||Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Astrocetus.
General[edit | edit source]
Despite having a Docile temperament, the Astrocetus is anything but docile. Never get close to the Astrocetus unless you are in for a dangerous time, or harvesting for materials.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
There is not much strategy required to kill or tame an Astrocetus. Most often players will kill it during a taming attempt due to it's relatively low health pool for such a gigantic size. Moreover, the use of a tek skiff with any good quality firearm or turret makes it ridiculously easy to kill.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Any good firearm like assault rifles to even the classic rocket launcher will do the trick just fine for an easy kill. Cannons on tek skiffs are by far the most effective way to either killing or taming your space whale. They are so abysmally slow that you will have no problem positioning your cannon and shooting even in single player.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
Due to its territorial nature behind the docile temperament, it will bite or tail slap at the target that got too close to it. The range of hit from both of its attacks are huge, making it difficult to withstand the knockback from the lunar biome it resides at.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Due to its sheer size, slow movement, and surprisingly low health, the new weaponry introduced (especially the new Cruise missle) allows for the Astrocetus to be easily targeted and killed if a large amount of players aim for it. Its attacks do little to absolutely minimal damage to a player well-equipped to withstand the harsh conditions of the lunar biome, so they should not pose much of a problem.
Taming[edit | edit source]
For general information about domesticating a wild creature see Taming.
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
- The best currently known way to tame a Astrocetus is by crafting a TEK Hover Skiff, and placing cannons at the very front tip of the skiff. Foundations are not needed, but will make a good attribute since the cannons have a chance of shooting the skiff rather than the Astrocetus. Once the skiff is complete, lure the Astrocetus towards you with aggro. The Astrocetus is a slow creature with a large head, so you will have no worries of missing once it is in place. Try to keep 20–30 meters away from it, and shoot the cannons at the head (See: Unassembled TEK Hover Skiff). For the time being, this is the best taming method.
- Another good alternative is via the use of a Megachelon, following a similar tactic as with the TEK Hover Skiff. Albeit slower, the Megachelon can be very tanky and well protected from the dangers of the Lunar biome. Once the Astrocetus is aligned with the turtle's back have a friend shoot the cannons aimed for the head.
- A Mek is also able to tame a max lvl astrocetus with the M.S.C.M. module in 1 shot, however the splash damage will lower the taming efficiency dramatically and is not recommended.
- Build a tower with a pillar and a cannon, use the "air jump" to reach them closer and pull then with bow and arrows to your cannon, knock him with the cannon.
- The easiest option (although resource intensive), is to use a Bloodstalker and a several rocket launchers, as the Bloodstalker is able to double jump every few seconds, this allows for pseudo-flying in lower gravity environments. The rider is then able to shoot rockets at the Astrocetus while remaining airborne, giving a similar feel to the grapple-Pteranadon/Argentavis method of Quetzal taming.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Astrocetus has the ability to warp to it's destination, similar to a hyperspace jump. This warp will also take anything within the vicinity with it and can go through Creatures, Structures, and natural formations.
The Astrocetus Tek Saddle provides the rider with three gun turrets as well as having a bomber mode that is powered by it's natural space energy that it converts into bombs to destroy enemies below.
Leveling speed increases the "Cosmic Power" capacity, which is used for the bomber mode and hyperspace jumps. The Hyperspace Jump also seems to have a relatively low range, equal to around the body length so it's not really a method of travel. It's best use would be bypassing enemy structures or terrain obstacles, or maybe dodging rockets with good timing. Hyperspace jump can be activated by spacebar then left click and is similar to Enforcer teleporting.
Leveling melee increases the damage for its bombs to a point it can do serious damage to massive groups of tames.
Roles[edit | edit source]
Surprise Raid Dino: Thanks to it's warp ability you could use it to warp into a tribe's vicinity with all your prepared dinos without the enemy tribe knowing quickly taking them out before they can react via bombs, turrets, and the other creatures you bring with you. Do note that when dismounting the astrocetus outside of the lunar biome it may start taking damage for no reason this usually occurs lower to the ground.
Cargo Transport: Most Astrocetus also have a fairly reasonable weight, making them excellent flying Cargo Transports, and when transporting valuable cargoes, having friends mount the turrets and fly escort on war mounts such as wyverns, or tapejaras can almost guarantee safe passage. Level Weight, and Health for this to be effiecient.
Lunar Biome Brute Hunter: Because the whale can't be affected by the gravity, the Astrocetus can float above the Brute creature while fellow tribe members mount the two bottom turrets to deal constant damage to it. This role doesn't apply when hunting the Brute Astrocetus since it too can float.
Base Destroyer: Because the Astrocetus tek saddle has multiple turrets mounted all over it and its ability to use carpet bombs, this role is perfect once tank tames such as paracers, carbonemys and gasbags have absorbed all the bullets from the auto turrets that dot the base. Once the turrets have been drained of ammo, the Astrocetus can pull up and begin destroying the buildings and towers that consist of an enemy tribe's base. Pair the Astrocetus with Meks for total base destruction. This role is for when a base becomes defenseless once the auto turrets have been drained as turrets can shred through an Astrocetus' health.
Bomber "plane": Using the astrocetus bombing ability enables players to use it as a bomber plane. Paired with a few saddled and ridden tropeognathus as fighter escorts this can be a very effective means of attack.
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
- "Astrocetus" is latin for "Star Whale".
- The Astrocetus can also be referred to as "Space Whale."
- Oddly, during the Genesis: Part 1 release, it was still named as it. This was patched as of 306.67.
- The Astrocetus is the only creature with translucent skin in the game, showing its skeleton and internal organs.
- Astrocetus is said to be an Alpha-tier tame, meaning that a Tribe or a survivor can only tame a few at a time.
- Astrocetus can be put inside of a Cryopod.
- The Astrocetus has a similar look to baleen whales in real life (minus the 12 extra eyes, the tail and the extra fins).
- In terms of size, the astrocetus dwarfs all of its real life cousins. Its size makes it just as big as the desert titan.
- Like all Genesis: Part 1 exclusive creatures, the Astrocetus does not have a proper Dossier made by Helena, as Helena was not present as a normal survivor in the simulation.
- Often times, the Astrocetus will wander around regardless of if wandering is enabled or not.
- Astrocetus is the only new creature in Genesis that is only obtainable through Knockout taming process.
- Astrocetus can swim in the water, although it suffers a massive speed reduction when doing so.
- Astrocetus is one of the few creatures that plays a death animation first before going limp into a ragdoll. Other creatures that do this include but are not limited to: the Reaper, Compy, and Phoenix.
- Astrocetus is one of the only creatures that can't land. The other being the Phoenix and Onyc.
- Astrocetus is intended to be invisible when untamed and outside of the lunar biome. This doesn't affect hosts of non-dedicated sessions and single-player mode.
- Astrocetus won't accelerate if filled above 55% of its max weight, making only slightly above half of its weight usable for fast transport.
- Before patch 306.67 the astrocetus could go through Static meshes With the hyper drive ability
- Astrocetus is the only current flier that is able to directly level speed. As such it technically is capable of the fastest flight speed with commands, along with the snow owl.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
|306.41 Genesis: Part 1 Expansion Release||Space Whale is added to the game|
|306.63||Fixed several visual bugs with Space Whale|
|306.67||Fixed the Space Whale's display name. The proper name for the creature is now Astrocetus|
|309.4||Enabled several performance-related visual tweaks on wild Astrocetus|
|309.44||Fixed a turret exploit with the Space Whale|