Caverns of Lost Hope
46.4° Lat, 83.4° Lon
The Caverns of Lost Hope is an underwater Cave on the east coast of The Island map. The cave contains the Artifact of the Cunning, needed to summon the Dragon. It is a challenging area of the map, especially for lower levels (40 and under).
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Extremely cold temperatures.
- A vast portion of the cave is underwater.
- Extreme quantities of Mosasaurus, Plesiosaur, Tusoteuthis and other dangerous aquatic creatures.
- Surprisingly, the water within the cave is well lit and does NOT require a SCUBA Mask.
- Creatures can spawn with very high levels.
- Be cautious when moving through the cave as creatures can be found hiding inside the walls, almost like they are asleep.
Recommended Equipment[edit | edit source]
- A tamed Aquatic dinosaur
- A sabertooth with high speed (for getting chitin)
Explorer Notes[edit | edit source]
- Rockwell Record #6: When approaching the Artifact, it is on the right Ruins walkway on the left corner closest to the Artifact spawn.
- Cnidaria Dossier: Passing the hole to the Artifact, you will go through a small, short cave and see some Ruins on the ground to the left. The Dossier is in the archway.
- Helena Note #9: Reach the end of the flooded cave and head deeper into the cave. You will see a hill in a right corner with stone stairs. The Note is past the stairs.
- Meiyin Note #9: Reach the end of the cave on land, the last note will be near some Ruins to the left, overlooking the first cave with air.
Tips/Notes[edit | edit source]
- The artifact lies fairly close to the entrance of the cave, at the end of a narrow tunnel that starts down behind an Obelisk-tech structure (see gallery below). The rest of the cave is ripe with creatures to slay, but is not abundant in any particular resource nor can any of the creatures be tamed. At the end of the submerged caverns is what appears to be a standard cave filled with subterranean creatures and a couple Survivor Entries.
- The only loot crates found to date were in the submerged cavern, leaving the cave at the end undesirable to explore once the Explorer Notes have been collected.
- There are several ways to obtain the artifact, but two suggested methods are by using brute force, or by a high-speed bypass.
- Brute Force involves riding a high-level Mosasaurus/ Tusoteuthis or similar creature and just killing everything on the way in or out. This can be highly time-consuming and requires the appropriate dinosaur.
- High-speed bypass requires an Ichthyosaurus (simpler, and cheaper, to tame) or a Manta with high speed (suggested at least 150%, for best results); using their speed you simply race through the cave, ignoring as many enemies as possible on the way to the artifact. Be sure to put your mount on passive in case it gets attacked when you get off to get the artifact, but beware, as they will not last long alone. You may be forced to kite enemies away from the artifact before grabbing it, since these dinosaurs cannot reliably fight large groups. Be especially wary of Cnidaria and Tusoteuthis using this method, as they can quickly bring your speed run to a halt if you are knocked off your mount, or it is grabbed.
- The loot table found within this cave shares a loot table exclusive to the two underwater artifact caves. The tables are as follows:
- Blue Chests (level 50 to open) can contain Diplodocus Saddles, Kapro Saddles, Pachyrhino Saddles, Flak Armor, Mining Helmet, Megalodon Saddles, Argent Saddles, Bronto Saddles, Rex Saddles, Spino Saddles, Fabricated Pistols, Assault Rifles and Rocket Launchers
- Yellow Chests (level 60 to open) can contain anything from the Blue Chest table, in addition to Chalico Saddles and Tapejara Saddles
- Red Chests (level 70 to open) can contain anything from both the Blue and Yellow Chest tables, in addition to Therizino Saddles and Tusoteuthis Saddles
The end result are chests with very high valued loot, as they contain newer saddles only found within the two caves, as well as a higher-than-average chance at decent quality Flak Armor compared to other sources. All three chest tables also contain loot at a quality range of 3.25 - 4.0, meaning an increased likelihood of Mastercraft and Ascendant quality items.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Alpha Megalodon
- Mosasaur - Caverns
- Tusoteuthis - Caverns
Compatible Tamed Creatures[edit | edit source]
This table is incomplete.
You can help us by adding the tamed creatures you know can enter the cave. If the creature can't enter, please exclude it.
- Excellent: Full-Cave Access (Entrance-to-Artifact)
- Limited: Can Access Portions of the Cave Safely
- Not Recommended: Can Get Stuck/Unable to Leave Cave
Resources[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Artifact of the Cunning Crate