|This article is about a creature, item, or feature exclusive to the DLC: Extinction|
|Hold up to a creature to capture it. Throw to deploy a captured creature.|
cheat GFI cryopod 1 0 0
cheat giveitem "Blueprint'/Game/Extinction/CoreBlueprints/Weapons/PrimalItem_WeaponEmptyCryopod.PrimalItem_WeaponEmptyCryopod'" 1 0 0
|Required level||Level 51|
|Engram Points||20 EP|
|Crafted in||Tek Replicator|
The Cryopod is an object in the DLC Extinction of ARK: Survival Evolved.
Overview[edit | edit source]
The Cryopod is used as a form of self-storage for survivors to freeze-store tames into an "ice cube" state through using it directly on them for a few seconds while aiming close to them, which not only lets them save up tame limit within their tribe, but makes transport of frozen dinos easier as they can be carried within the inventory of a survivor or a dino. Since they are an item, should the survivor or dino die, their inventory can be accessed by anyone and the frozen dino risk getting stolen, as the dino/creature deployed will belong to the tribe that unfreezes it. However, if the area to deploy is not big enough for the creature, message in red text will be displayed and the cryopod remains unaffected with the creature still inside it. This is especially true when traversing in caves like Grave of the Tyrants; a Rex cannot be released from the cryopod, but smaller creatures like Ravager and Thylacoleo can.
When a creature is thawed, the survivor will receive a Status Effect known as Cryo Cooldown. Any Creatures unfrozen during Cryo Cooldown will have Cryo Sickness, which not only causes said dino to take 10x the damage received, it cannot be frozen again until it wakes up or the effect (Cryo Sickness) wears off. This also resets the timer for the survivor who unfroze it, which would not be beneficial unless he or she is releasing bulks of dino in a protected area.
The Cryopod will begin to decay as soon as it is created, either through crafting or after being obtained from an Orbital Supply Drop, with a 30 day or one month decay period. The Cryofridge will permanently halt and restore the decay timer as long as it is powered. If the Cryopod is not recharged after 30 days (by default), it will disable and will be labelled as dead. Any dino inside the Cryopod will permanently vanish (even after being recharged), and it is unusable until it recharges at Cryofridge. Cryopods timer are unaffected by Preserving Salt .
As Cryopods are considered Tek items, they are suspectible to Electrical Storm, preventing them from functioning during said weather.
There are a few things to note when (un)freezing dino/creature:
- Anything in the dino's inventory will drop once they are cryofrozen (this includes any other slot, like weapon slot for Mantis). The only main exception are both the Saddle (if it is wearing one), and Modules for Mek. (Durability will degrade when freezing it.)
- Freezing a baby (baby, juvenille or adolescent) creature inside a cryopod will pause the imprint timer, and if asking for care, will change what it wants whenever it is unfrozen.
- Freezing a female will not reset the breeding timer unless the cryopod containing it was recently transferred to another server. Timer for mating interval continues to tick down even when the female is cryofrozen inside.
- Similarly, if the female mammal is gestating, cryofreezing will abort the baby. It is ill-advised to do so unless there is a reason for it.
While cryofrozen in a powered Cryofridge, any creature inside will gain more passive XP. This does not apply for specific non-levellables like Mek, and baby creatures.Passive XP gain is solely determined by game time since time of trapping, multiplied by their idle XP rates, multiplied by a final 1.05 return. Cryo fridge sole responsibility is to recharge/extend the shelf life of the item itself (source: dev kit).
- Any creature/dino unfrozen will follow the same upload cooldown as if they had been downloaded from the Obelisk, resetting every time they are frozen. If transferring of dino is needed, its better to send them off in a cryopod as an item instead.
- Frozen dino/creature will have their gender announced first, followed by all its stat when hovered over with infobox activated.
Restricion[edit | edit source]
The following dinos (including forcetamed) cannot be cryofrozen into a cryopod:
- Mega Mek
- Desert Titan
- Desert Titan Flock
- Forest Titan
- Giant Bee
- Ice Titan
- King Titan
Note that the 'Giant Bee' refers to the bees spawned by Giant Queen Bee, not the queen herself.
Placed vehicles cannot be cryofrozen either.
Dinos that does not exist in Aberration cannot be unfrozen within the depths from anywhere, even surface.
Spoil Times[edit | edit source]
- Player Inventory/Tamed Dino/Preserving Bin: 30 Days
- Refrigerator: 60 Days
- Cryofridge: Forever; recovers power timer for cryopod, as long as the cryofridge remains powered
Notes[edit | edit source]
- It was originally intended to Cryofreeze wild Creatures that are tamable as well, but was scrapped due to it being too overpowered.
- During the testing phase of Extinction, it was possible to Cryofreeze a Wooden Raft but that bug was supposed to have been patched during testing. Prior to 286.103, it was still possible.
- Creatures without an icon that are cryofrozen in a cryopod will have an icon similar to Raptor as a placeholder. This is notable for Ice Wyvern as they currently do not posses an icon in game and being the only creature that can be tamed without admin commands.
- All cryofrozen creatures prior to patch 292.100 have the gender labelled as "Male", regardless whether or not they had a (different) gender. This applies to genderless entity like Reaper King, Mek and Arthropluera
- Prior to 286.103, it was possible to cryo dinos under Cryo Sickness.
- Prior to 291.100, female creatures are forced into mating countdown upon being released, and baby imprint timer resets to 8 hours, regardless of server setting.
- If you have admin privilege in your tribe, it is currently (correct as of 14Nov) possible to Cryo a creature that is set to personally owned to somebody else inside your tribe, it is also then possible to transfer that creature to another server or tribe on the same server, the creature will remain personally owned by the original owner, this is clearly an oversight in development as said creature will not be interactable anymore without being in a tribe with government settings to be tribe owned or tribe ridden.
- If there are structures on the platform saddle of the creature being put in the cryopod, they will automatically be destroyed and will not return when the creature with the said saddle is unfrozen.
- Dino class does not persist in certain scenarios. If one were to cryo a modded dino, and remove the originating dino's mod, then the class gets nullified and will no longer be able to be released even if the originating mod were to be installed at a later time. Attempting to release a dino whose class has been nullified will cause the item to be removed with no dino being created.
- After releasing a creature from a Cryopod, if trying to upload the creature, there will be a visible timer of 6-7 minutes before the creature is able to be uploaded. Despite this, the creature actually has a hidden 12 hour timer after being released, much like the timer that occurs after downloading a creature.
- Cryopods cannot be used inside any of the boss arena, or inside or near the Tek Cave. They can still be used at open arena in Extinction.
- When the creature is released from a Cryopod, specific dino will have some aftereffects:
- Ovis will have lost all of their Wool
- Any female transferred through cryopod will enter the same mating interval cooldown as those who had been transferred directly through creature transfer.
- If transferred as baby, Reaper King will not appear as a baby, but rather a juvenile with the baby prefix still present. Unfortunately, babies raised this way will be permanently on aggressive regardless of the behavior set (even though they will not attack listlessly).
- Light pets will have lost their charge.
- They poop, which can be useful in getting owl pellets.
- Any buffs that the dino had will not be reapplied.
Bug[edit | edit source]
- 292.100 - Cryopod automatically set recently released dino from cryopod to follow the survivor who released it. This persist on unconscious dino which cannot be whistled on any command to stop as they will still "follow" the survivor even under unconscious state.
- This can be remedied by fast travelling to another bed far from where the dino are.
References[edit | edit source]
|Tools||Cryopod (Empty) • Taxidermy Tool|
|Weapons||Cannon Shell • Rocket Pod • Scout Remote • Tek Gravity Grenade • Unassembled Enforcer • Unassembled Mek|
|Saddles||Gacha • Gasbags • Managarmr • Snow Owl • Velonasaur|
|Mek Modules||M.D.S.M. • M.O.M.I. • M.R.L.M. • M.S.C.M.|
|Harvesting||Stone Pick • Stone Hatchet • Metal Pick • Metal Hatchet • Metal Sickle • Chainsaw • Scissors • Fishing Rod|
|Preservation||Waterskin • Water Jar • Canteen • Cryopod (Empty) • Blood Extraction Syringe • Preserving Salt|
|Navigation/Travel||Torch • Glow Stick • Flare Gun • Spyglass • Compass • GPS • Climbing Pick • Glider Suit • Zip-Line Motor • Zip-Line Anchor • Transponder Tracker • Transponder Node|
|Cosmetic||Paintbrush • Spray Painter • Dye • Soap|
|Other||Camera • Delivery Crate • Dino Leash • Parachute • Magnifying Glass • Note • Radio • Smoke Grenade • Pliers • Taxidermy Tool|