admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Direbear/Direbear_Character_BP.Direbear_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
admincheat summon Direbear_Character_Polar_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Direbear/Direbear_Character_Polar.Direbear_Character_Polar'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Polarbear Ragnarok
admincheat summon Polar_Bear_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Mods/Ragnarok/Custom_Assets/Dinos/Polar_Bear/Polar_Bear.Polar_Bear'" 500 0 0 35
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Taming
- 3 Combat
- 4 Utility
- 5 Notes/Trivia
- 6 Spotlight
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Found primarily among the Island's redwood regions, Arctodus dirus is an imposing creature.
Many on the island have started calling it a Direbear, a name which is appropriate, both due to its enormity and its territorial nature. The Direbear ignores most non-hostile creatures while going about its daily routine of scavenging for meat and edible plant life...
...that is, until intruders enter the territory it considers its own, at which point the creature ferociously attacks. Most often, it is smartest to just run from an angry Direbear.
Once tamed, the Direbear is a strong and reliable mount. It can carry vast quantities of goods, and can sprint for extremely long, nearly infinite periods. It is not the fastest creature from a hard stop, but after building up momentum, its sustained overland speed builds to among the best of the island. Of course, being able to feed a direbear both meat and plant life makes keeping one fairly convenient regardless of the environment.
Arctodus has a fondness for honey and can harvest it without getting stung or destroying the hive. Perhaps more rewarding while you are riding it, those pesky bees will completely ignore you.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Direbear is an omnivore, meaning it can eat both berries and meat. It is very territorial and will attack if not given enough space. It possesses a charging mechanic similar to that of the Pachy or Woolly Rhino. It can maneuver at high speeds, and takes a while to actually lose stamina by a significant amount. It possesses a secondary swipe attack that can be used to gather berries and pluck out meat from its target. This swipe additionally does more damage than normal, but stops movement. The Direbear can also stand on its hind legs (crouching, default C).
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Direbear is never a welcome sight for survivors in the frozen regions of the ARK. Resembling a grizzly bear in appearance, the Direbear is distinguishable by its shorter snout, earning it the nickname "Short-Faced Bear". Like other bears, they are capable of standing on their hind legs, but only to intimidate those that enter its territory. The beast is also surprisingly swift for its hulking build.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Direbear's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Direbear. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Direbear will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command "cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>".
For example, "cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6" would color the Direbear's "back and head" magenta.
Back and Head
Region 1 is not used
Region 2 is not used
Region 3 is not used
Region 4 is not used
Belly and Legs
Dire Polar Bear[edit | edit source]
The Dire Polar Bear is a variant of Direbear that can be found on the Ragnarok map. It is identical to the normal Direbear in all aspects except for its white color.
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
|Melee Damage||50 / 652||+2.5 / +3.25||+1.7%||7%||17.6%|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpidity increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
|Base||Minimum||Activation||Using C (PC), (PS4), (Xbox One), the Direbear stands on its hind legs and roars to frighten opposing survivors.|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Taming[edit | edit source]
For general infos about domesticating a wild creature see Taming.
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Any taming strategy will work. Taming pens, picking up, standing on rocks will do. Just make sure not to be on the low ground, as its high base damage will make short work of your character.
- Building a wall or platform to shoot from without being hit from the Dire Bear is one way to ensure you're able to time your narcotic shots properly, which is very important since the Direbear has very little health compared to torpor.
- Be aware that the Direbear has very high torpor compared to their health. Monitoring the number of Tranquilizer Arrows you use is very important in order to prevent accidentally killing the Direbear. For instance, levels higher than 16 appear to be nearly impossible to tranquilize with arrows (a Mastercraft Crossbow or above will work). Tranquilizer Darts are advised.
- It is advised to use Tripwire Narcotic Traps to bring the Direbear down as their unusually high torpor will typically result in death before KO at levels above 25+ when using crossbow and arrows - this is particularly relevant to primitive servers. For instance, a combination of 10 tripwire traps (5 explosions total) combined with tranq. arrows will bring down a level 90-100 bear before it dies - arrows alone will result in death.
Taming Food[edit | edit source]
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||6||0||0||0||0:16:54|
|Giant Bee Honey||6||0||0||0||0:16:54|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||21||98||22||11||0:36:56|
|Raw Prime Meat||14||33||8||4||0:24:39|
|Cooked Prime Meat||28||163||36||18||0:49:15|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||35||66||15||8||0:30:49|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||69||233||51||26||1:02:24|
|Raw Fish Meat||104||387||84||42||1:31:33|
|Cooked Fish Meat||207||385||84||42||1:31:06|
|× 100; × 41; × 12; × 7; × 5; × 3:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:18:31|
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||10||0||0||0||0:28:09|
|Giant Bee Honey||10||0||0||0||0:28:10|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||39||285||66||33||1:08:35|
|Raw Prime Meat||26||115||27||14||0:45:47|
|Cooked Prime Meat||52||456||106||53||1:31:27|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||65||200||47||24||0:57:13|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||130||652||151||76||1:57:34|
|Raw Fish Meat||194||1050||243||122||2:50:46|
|Cooked Fish Meat||388||1050||243||122||2:50:46|
|× 274; × 112; × 31; × 18; × 13; × 7:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:30:32|
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||15||31||8||4||0:42:14|
|Giant Bee Honey||15||31||8||4||0:42:15|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||57||539||130||65||1:40:14|
|Raw Prime Meat||39||262||63||32||1:08:40|
|Cooked Prime Meat||77||847||204||102||2:15:24|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||96||401||97||49||1:24:30|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||192||1183||284||142||2:53:38|
|Raw Fish Meat||288||1883||452||226||4:13:30|
|Cooked Fish Meat||575||1879||451||226||4:13:03|
|× 454; × 186; × 51; × 29; × 21; × 11:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:38:47|
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||20||113||28||14||0:56:18|
|Giant Bee Honey||20||113||28||14||0:56:20|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||76||864||214||107||2:13:39|
|Raw Prime Meat||51||438||109||55||1:29:47|
|Cooked Prime Meat||102||1308||324||162||2:59:22|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||128||660||164||82||1:52:40|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||255||1805||447||224||3:50:36|
|Raw Fish Meat||382||2831||701||351||5:36:14|
|Cooked Fish Meat||763||2827||700||350||5:35:47|
|× 634; × 259; × 71; × 41; × 29; × 15:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:44:46|
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||24||190||49||25||1:07:34|
|Giant Bee Honey||24||190||49||25||1:07:36|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||94||1212||308||154||2:45:18|
|Raw Prime Meat||64||662||168||84||1:52:40|
|Cooked Prime Meat||127||1819||462||231||3:43:19|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||159||947||241||121||2:19:57|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||317||2482||631||316||4:46:40|
|Raw Fish Meat||475||3857||980||490||6:58:05|
|Cooked Fish Meat||950||3857||980||490||6:58:05|
|× 814; × 333; × 91; × 52; × 37; × 19:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:49:28|
|Kibble (Carno Egg)||29||314||82||41||1:21:38|
|Giant Bee Honey||29||314||82||41||1:21:41|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||113||1611||418||209||3:18:42|
|Raw Prime Meat||76||892||232||116||2:13:48|
|Cooked Prime Meat||152||2371||615||308||4:27:17|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||190||1262||328||164||2:47:14|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||380||3217||835||418||5:43:39|
|Raw Fish Meat||569||4958||1286||643||8:20:49|
|Cooked Fish Meat||1138||4958||1286||643||8:20:49|
|× 994; × 406; × 111; × 64; × 45; × 23:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:53:20|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Preferred Food[edit | edit source]
The Direbear is an omnivore.
- Giant Bee Honey
- Kibble (Carno Egg)
- Raw Prime Meat
- Cooked Prime Meat
- Raw Meat
- Cooked Meat
Combat[edit | edit source]
Can be stuck between trees or rocks, keep a distance and move in circles, don't run straight.
General[edit | edit source]
The Direbear is a strong, giant creature that is territorial. It won't attack you, unless you get really close to it. Direbears gain speed the longer it runs, similar to a Woolly Rhino but without the 10x damage increase and meter. Direbears don't seem to use this ability in the wild.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Direbear is slower than the player, so fleeing is a wise choice if you do not wish to kill/tame it. You could run and shoot at it until it gets close to you, run away again and repeat this process until it is dead. Bear traps and melee weapons are also effective, but be careful when using them, as the Bear has a large AoE.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Ranged weapons are recommended. Stay on high ground and shoot it from afar. Using melee weapons can be dangerous, but can be less dangerous when using high-tier armor and shields.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
They are decently fast and have a strong melee attack. Be careful engaging in a fight with one of these by yourself. When attempting to drop them in a pen with a Quetzal, be wary-like the Sabertooth and the Direwolf, the Direbear can sometimes attack while being carried and will quickly deplete your Quetzal's health.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Their bulky body allows them to be easily shot from a distance. They are slower than the player, so it can usually not catch you if you run. They lose interest quickly, so fleeing is wise.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- War Mount: Excellent damage and speed. The Direbears area of attack is huge, reaching all the way back to its hind legs and a good meter in front of it. It can use its primary attack at all running speeds, meaning chasing down prey is easy (Level Health, Melee Damage, and some speed), It is the strongest mount that allows you to wield weapons while riding it.
- Gatherer: Very good for gathering Fiber and collecting meat. Not the best, but still gathers Berries, Hide, and Chitin (Level Health, Melee Damage, and Weight).
- All-Purpose Mount: The Direbear is a very versatile mount. It can sprint very fast and carry lots of stuff, while taking a long time to get tired. It can defend you when attacked, as it has a powerful primary attack and an obliterating secondary attack, with 65 damage. It can harvest food for itself and for you. For these reasons the Direbear is one of the most valuable mid to end game mount. Valuable mount/companion (Level Speed, Weight, and Melee Damage).
- Travel: Very fast speed, when fully accelerated can be faster than a Procoptodon, possibly Gallimimus), tons of stamina and high weight make it capable of traveling and hauling goods. The momentum sprinting mechanic does not take movement speed into account The Direbear also takes large amounts of fall damage, so be careful when moving around mountains and high places (Level Speed and some Stamina and Weight as needed).
- Transport: Very large carry weight. Can be upgraded even more to allow the bear to become a mobile storage unit (Level Speed, Weight, and some Stamina)
- Companion: Similar to the Direwolf, having a Direbear follow you around the base and curl up with at night ensures you aren't lonely (Level Health and Weight)
Passive Abilities[edit | edit source]
- Insulation - Like the Dimetrodon standing next to a Direbear provides 35 Hypothermic and Hyperthermic insulation, which decreases based on your distance from it.
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
|Raw Prime Meat||★★★★☆|
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Direbear, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- The dossier was revealed on November 2, 2015
- The Direbear is from the genus Arctodus, which are a group of Short-Faced Bears. Arctodus contained species of Short-Faced Bears that are considered to be one of the biggest known terrestrial mammalian carnivores.
- Arctodus stood about six feet tall on four legs, and eight feet on its hind legs, which were long and thin, making it the fastest genus of bear.
- Arctodus was once nicknamed the Running Bear, as its long legs enabled it to run vast distances.
- Although that the dossier says it is primarily found in mountains and tundras, the Direbear is so far known to only populates the Redwoods since the Redwoods were introduced into the game.
- On the map The Center they also live in dens located in other biomes.
- The Direbear may now get in AND out of the Central Cave.
- The "crouch" key will make the Direbear stand up on its hind legs temporarily but this "attack" does no damage.
- Direbear received a major update for TLC Phase 1 at 10th February 2018 for the pc (consoles on the 20th) with appearance overhaul, protection from giant bee knocking survivors off, and harvesting honey at 3x rate without damaging the wild hives. They are also brought into Aberration at the same patch.