admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Leech/Leech_Character.Leech_Character'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Diseased Leech
admincheat summon Leech_character_Diseased_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Leech/Leech_Character_Diseased.Leech_Character_Diseased'" 500 0 0 35
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
It is difficult to be angry with Haementeria laetus, despite its rather terrible nature. The creature has practically no intelligence, and just attaches to any nearby living flesh in an attempt to drain that creature's blood.
Removing Haementeria requires precision bladework, or access to an open flame. Both of these can be nearly as dangerous to the host as to the leech itself.
Once Haementeria attaches to a host, it drains blood at a rapid pace, and the host experiences hunger, loss of health, and lowered stamina. Some Haementeria are also carriers for a dangerous disease I've dubbed "Swamp Fever," which persists beyond the leech's own lifespan. Few creatures on the Island are transmitters for this disease, and it can ultimately be cured with a rare medicine.
While Haementeria is not intelligent enough to be tamed, it is always useful to keep a few around for antidotes and fishing lures. When processed properly, Haementeria venom can be made into a powerful antivenom!
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Leeches lurk in the water, waiting for tames or survivors to pass by whereupon they leap gleefully and attach themselves to their victim.
Diseased Leech (Variant)[edit | edit source]
The Diseased Leech is a variant of the Leech distinguished by its red and orange color scheme as well as its name in the HUD. It transmits Swamp Fever, which can be cured with Lesser Antidote. The carcass of the Diseased Leech can also be harvested for significantly more Leech Blood than its normal variant.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
One of the most revolting creatures that inhabits the island is Haementeria laetus, a leech that grows as long as a man's arm. A blood parasite, the soft-bodied creature actively seeks out hosts in the swamps it calls home, propelling itself with fluttering fins and latching on with a mouth full of sharp rasping teeth.
In the wild, leeches are the primary vector for a debilitating disease commonly known as swamp fever.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
The Leech always spawns with the same color scheme, but the Diseased Leech has different colors from the Leech.
The Leech always spawns with the same color scheme and has no color regions.
This means it is currently impossible to make alterations to the Leech's colors.
Drops[edit | edit source]
* The Diseased Leech drops significantly more Leech Blood than its normal variant.
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase|
|Movement||Base Speed||Sprinting Speed|
|Melee||Stamina Cost||Attack Range||Description|
|Base||Minimum||Activation||The Leech bites the target until it can latch onto its host. While leeched, both the host's Health and Stamina will slowly drop. If it is a Diseased Leech, Swamp Fever may be transmitted to a Human host.|
|Attack Type||Damage||Projectile Values||Torpor Values||Status Effect: Stamina||Status Effect: Torpidity|
|Life||Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
The Diseased Leech has the same values except of Health, which is 120.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Leech.
General[edit | edit source]
- To get rid of a leech that is already hanging on your body you need fire, e.g. a Campfire or a Cooking Pot. Jump into the burning fire for a short time, the leech will then disappear. Dying and removing the leech off your corpse also works.
- To remove a leech from a creature, press and hold the Use key (E by default) and select remove leech from the menu that appears.
- There is a diseased variant of this creature (Diseased Leech). You can cure the disease by consuming Lesser Antidote.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
- Bug Repellant will make you invisible to all leeches even if you touch them. If you attack them, however, they will still be aggressive.
- Travel well-mounted; you need something tall enough to keep you out of the water and large enough that you stay standing on its back when dismounted. This way you can remove leeches from your mount without having to expose yourself to them.
- If your mount needs an escort in the swamps, use a flock of flyers; ground-bound escorts are likely to be leeched without you noticing, and if you do notice, you will have to step entirely off your mount to remove them, potentially exposing yourself to other leeches.
- Keep your eyes peeled; use your mount's attacks to 'plow the road' in front of you as you navigate the swamps in the hopes of killing leeches before they latch on.
- If you see a leech from far enough away, attack it with ranged weapons to kill it before it has a chance to latch on; once they do, it will not be possible to harvest them even if you remove them.
- At present, all mounts are immune to Swamp Fever; only humans and Dodos can catch it.
- Leeches don't attack or attach themselves to tamed Beezlebufos and any other mounts native to the swamp, making them great for hunting Leeches.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
- The leech does not require any serious weapons to kill, although killing it before it reaches melee range is valuable; try to finish it with ranged weapons or, failing that, hold it at a distance with spear or pike.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Make sure to bring a friend with you, or stay out of its attack range with a tall mount. If the leeches latch onto you, another player is the fastest way to remove it; if it's attached to your mount, you can remove it yourself.
- When they attach onto you, you wont regenerate stamina, and you will lose health slowly. Make sure to use that remaining stamina to get to a safe place fast.
- Leeches are often found in areas that contain other dangerous enemies. Beware they don't weaken you at a fatal moment.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
- As it is harmless unless entering melee range, ranged weapons are ideal.
Taming[edit | edit source]
Leeches can be 'tamed' using Fish Basket . However, as they lack the required intelligence, they will not return once they have latched onto someone or something.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Leech, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- Dino Dossier was revealed on 02/08/16 on Steam.
- The Leech's genus, Haementeria, refers to a modern genus of leeches which includes the Amazon Giant Leech, which can grow up to 17 inches.
- On The Center, Leeches are more commonly found in deep water that the player can submerge him or herself in.
- When going into certain waters while raining a swarm of Leeches will come after you. Which will allow you to obtain large amounts of Meat, Chitin, Leechblood and Silica Pearls.
- A maximum of 6 leeches can latch onto you and your dinos. The rest will bite you and your dinos to death.
- Harvesting leeches with the Megatherium will get you hundreds of chitin.
- Real Leeches lay eggs however Ark's Leeches do not.
- When real Leeches give birth they put themselves and their eggs into cocoon.
- Leech do not produce Feces
- The Leech along with the Coelacanth, Piranha, Sabertooth Salmon, and Trilobite, all became tamable with the Fish Basket introduced in Aberration.
- Real leeches have multiple tiny eyespots to help them see.
- Unlike most creatures, real leeches don't have gills or lungs, instead, they breathe by absorbing oxygen through their skin. They can breathe on land and in water.
- Originally proposed by /u/Coloumbia in 2015 on Reddit.com/r/playark