As part of the Unified Community Platform project, your wiki will be migrated to the new platform in the next few weeks. Read more here.
|DLC about the Corrupted Earth of ARK.|
|Content Type||Expansion Pack|
|Steam Release Date||November 6th, 2018|
|Xbox Release Date||November 13th, 2018|
|PS4 Release Date||November 13th, 2018|
|Switch Release Date||Unreleased|
|Epic Games Release Date||June 11th, 2020|
|This article is about the DLC: Extinction|
|This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4, Epic Games.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
|“||ARK: Extinction is going to challenge and delight you in all sorts of new ways.||„|
Extinction was released on November 6th, 2018 for PC and released on November 13th for Xbox One and PS4, and is available for purchase through the Season Pass.
- 1 Overview
- 2 The Corrupted Earth Map
- 3 Creatures
- 4 Items
- 5 Explorer Notes
- 6 Artifacts
- 7 Spotlight
- 8 Notes/Trivia
- 9 Changelog
- 10 Gallery
- 11 External links
- 12 References
Overview[edit | edit source]
Extinction places survivors on an Element-infested, ravaged planet filled with fantastical creatures both organic and technological. Earth holds both the secrets of the past and the keys to its salvation.
Unique Environmental Features[edit | edit source]
- Eclipses that temporarily dim the light.
- Geysers that launch survivors and Creatures into the air.
- Meteor showers where meteors rain down upon the land and destroy structures and kill Creatures.
- Orbital Supply Drops that fall from the sky and Element Nodes that rise from the ground that, when activated, start PvE horde-styled events. The orbital supply drops are also attacked by the corrupted dinosaurs
The Corrupted Earth Map[edit | edit source]
This map, set on Ravaged Earth rather than an ARK up in space, forces players to survive an Earth unfamiliar to us: one of strange features and stranger creatures. In the center of the map lies an abandoned city, usually referred to as the Great City or Sanctuary. It is the remains of some great technologically advanced civilization, the same one that built the ARKs. Outside of the city borders, pockets of life can be hard to find among the corrupted wasteland. They are still there, however, in the protective borders of the Proto-ARKs. To the south, the desert Proto-ARK exists. To the north, the Snow Dome, a second Proto-ARK. Another exists to the northwest, called the Sunken Forest, which was supposed to be another ARK but failed when it collapsed into the ground, presumably due to there being a large sinkhole underneath it. Strangely enough, the Proto-ARKs represent past challenges the survivor has faced: the Sanctuary and Snow Dome vaguely representing The Island, the Desert Dome representing Scorched Earth, and the Sunken Forest bearing similarities to Aberration. Despite being called 'dead' this Earth may be more alive than we first thought, but with life we don't understand.
- New Resources
Corrupted Earth features several new resources as well as existing ones from previous DLCs. Some of these resources, such as Blue Crystalized Sap and Silicate serve as substitutes for other resources.
- New Features
Corrupted Earth contains several interactive structure drops known as Orbital Supply Drops and Element Nodes. This new feature requires all survivors with their tamed Creatures to fend off against waves of Corrupted Creatures to obtain the items left behind inside, in the form of PvE style raid. The in parts irregular outer boundary of the map is indicated with poles bearing red lights at the top. Crossing the outer boundary of the map will, unlike in the other maps, instantly kill you and your tamed creature.
- New Creatures
Corrupted Earth contains living creatures. The corruption of Element has led to turning most of the Creatures into a variant known as "Corrupted" which roam around the earth. Due to the over-exposure of the Element, their minds and bodies have become too Corrupted to be tamed like their original counterparts, and must be killed on sight since not only will they destroy anything non-corrupt in their way, their minds moves in a "hive-mentality" state which makes any previous Temperament they were known for redundant. These include creatures like the Corrupted Wyvern from Scorched Earth and the Corrupted Rock Drake from Aberration.
Moreover, these Corrupted Creatures react to activations of Orbital Supply Drops and Element Nodes, causing them to amass against the tribes who activated them in waves and will attack not only them, but mainly the activated drop as well.
However, not all creatures mutated by the Element submit to its "hive-mentality". Some creatures, such as Gasbags still retain its normal temperament, thus allowing survivors to tame them despite their state of appearance.
Enormous Creatures, known as "Titans" roam across sections of the map accessible through dungeons/caves once their following prototype Obelisks are activated. They are extremely aggressive, but survivors who managed to knock them down will be able to tame the savage beasts temporarily, the 3 "smaller" Titans must be defeated in order to fight the final and strongest Titan for the expansion.
Within Earth lies technologies like the Enforcer and the Scout. While these new Mechanical Creatures cannot be tamed like organic beings, they can be crafted by survivors with parts from destroyed Creatures and blueprints from Orbital Supply Drops to build them as part of their tribe.
Different from its predecessors, Extinction does not contain Supply Crates or Loot Crates that descend from the sky or appear on the ground as in Aberration. There are several ways to obtain loot items:
- Gacha Crystals - special Gacha Crystals provide armor, weapons and sometimes structures, but do not contain saddles, but this is the easiest and safest way to obtain said items.
- Cave Loot Crates - the three caves, Desert Cave, Forest Cave, and Ice Cave host a number of high-level Loot Crates containing weapons, armor and saddles.
- Orbital Supply Drops - defending the waves of Orbital Supply Drops and securing the loot provides armor, weapons, structures and Tek Tier items exclusive to Extinction, such as Cryopods.
- Defeating the 4 Titans ( Desert Titan, Forest Titan, Ice Titan and King Titan) provides survivors with valuable loot.
Regions[edit | edit source]
|Regions of the Extinction|
The Grip of Torment
The Hopeless Ravine
The Sweeping Spires
Approximate Spawn Locations[edit | edit source]
Approximate Spawn Locations
Data Maps[edit | edit source]
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Unique Creatures[edit | edit source]
Some of the creatures here can only be "tamed" through crafting from remains of said creature's part.
- Corrupt Tumor
- Desert Titan
- Desert Titan Flock
- Forest Titan
- Forest Wyvern
- Ice Titan
- King Titan
- Mega Mek
- Snow Owl
Other Spawns[edit | edit source]
Normal Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Alpha Carnotaurus
- Alpha Raptor
- Alpha T-Rex
- Dire Bear
- Dung Beetle
- Giant Bee
- Jug Bug
- Polar Bear
- Polar Purlovia
- Rock Elemental
- Rubble Golem
- Sabertooth Salmon
- Tek Parasaur
- Tek Quetzal
- Tek Raptor
- Tek Rex
- Tek Stegosaurus
- Terror Bird
- Thorny Dragon
- Woolly Rhino
Corrupted Creatures[edit | edit source]
Corrupted variants can be found wandering around Earth, most notably in the Wasteland. These dino/creatures have been infected by Element to the point where their minds are under a "hive-mentality", rendering them untameable, and must be killed as they are extremely aggressive (even naturally skittish creatures).
- Corrupted Arthropluera
- Corrupted Carnotaurus
- Corrupted Chalicotherium
- Corrupted Dilophosaur
- Corrupted Dimorphodon
- Corrupted Giganotosaurus
- Corrupted Paraceratherium
- Corrupted Pteranodon
- Corrupted Raptor
- Corrupted Reaper King
- Corrupted Rex
- Corrupted Rock Drake
- Corrupted Spino
- Corrupted Stegosaurus
- Corrupted Triceratops
- Corrupted Wyvern
- Enraged Corrupted Rex
- Enraged Triceratops
Event Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Bunny Dodo
- Bunny Oviraptor
- Party Dodo
- Skeletal Bronto
- Skeletal Carnotaurus
- Skeletal Giganotosaurus
- Skeletal Quetzal
- Skeletal Raptor
- Skeletal Rex
- Skeletal Stego
- Skeletal Trike
- Super Turkey
Items[edit | edit source]
All items from the base game are available on Extinction in addition to the items below.
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Blue Crystalized Sap
- Condensed Gas
- Corrupted Nodule
- Crafted Element Dust
- Fragmented Green Gem
- Fungal Wood
- Gacha Crystal
- Red Crystalized Sap
- Unstable Element
- Unstable Element Shard
Consumables[edit | edit source]
Trophies and Tributes[edit | edit source]
- Corrupt Heart
- Desert Titan Trophy
- Forest Titan Trophy
- Gasbags bladder
- Homo Deus Record
- Ice Titan Trophy
- King Titan Trophy (Gamma)
- King Titan Trophy (Beta)
- King Titan Trophy (Alpha)
- King Titan Flag
- King Titan Flag (Mecha)
Weapons, Armor, and Tools[edit | edit source]
- Cannon Shell
- Rocket Pod
- Scout Remote
- Taxidermy Tool
- Tek Gravity Grenade
- Unassembled Enforcer
- Unassembled Mek
Structures[edit | edit source]
- Delivery Crate
- Dino Leash
- Large Taxidermy Base
- Medium Taxidermy Base
- Small Taxidermy Base
- Tek Bridge
Saddles[edit | edit source]
Cosmetics[edit | edit source]
- HomoDeus Boots Skin
- HomoDeus Gloves Skin
- HomoDeus Helmet Skin
- HomoDeus Pants Skin
- HomoDeus Shirt Skin
Explorer Notes[edit | edit source]
Artifacts[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Extinction was the first Expansion Pack to:
- not take place in an Ark.
- have tamable bosses
- have new types of bosses.
- have a chronicles event leading up to the release.
- to have the logo with only one glowing edge and a sharp top end.
- the first Expansion Pack that features creatures and equipments exclusive to a previous Expansion Pack.
- This is also the first time that Ragnarok, a non-canon map, had some of its details used.
- This is the first Expansion Pack to have craft-able creatures.
- Extinction was the only official expansion map to not include:
- The Corrupted Earth, which is the setting for this Expansion Pack, is visible after the final boss fight of Aberration and after you are sent through portal frames in the Element Falls shaft.
- It is also visible during the Overseer battle and during the Island's Ascension cut-scene, though it can only be seen from space and appears as a desert planet.
- It is also visible from the surface of Aberration
- Unlike The Island and the previous Expansion Packs Scorched Earth and Aberration, this expansion pack includes mainly kaiju inspired creatures (e.g: Ice Titan, Forest Titan, Desert Titan and the normal King Titan) and Mecha inspired creatures typically seen in kaiju films (e.g: Enforcer, Scout, Enraged Creatures, Mek, Mega Mek and the Alpha King Titan).
- On the Steam page for the Season Pass, the first targeted release date was spring 2018 which was changed in December, 2017 to a general 2018 release date. It was finally released on November 6, 2018.
- One to two hours after the ARK: ARKaeology event started, the banner time was replaced by another banner, hinting a new creature and one of the tainted areas within the map.
- On the third day, the countdown was brought over to the Twitch channel, with an updated banner that constantly changed over time.
- In the 4 hour mark, a dinosaur could be seen in the same banner during the countdown in twitch channel, showing a Rex within the red mist.
- In the 3 hour mark, a small object (Possibly Scout) could be seen above the said creature's head.
- The trailer was released on June 19, 2018, along with the mention of the prolonged event "Extinction Chronicles" lasting through November.
- From the start of trailer, the survivor is seen with an Alpha Ascension Implant, when compared to previous Expansion trailers where they have not ascended.
- In a trailer Electromagnetic waves were shown to be present at certain locations, rendering items such as GPS useless. However that never made it to the final version in the game. It may have possibly been scrapped.
- During an interview with Wildcard, they stated that they were unsure if Mechanical Creatures such as Enforcers found in Extinction will be normally tamed like other Creatures, or if they will be "crafted".
- One of the new Extinction Chronicles notes, ??? #13 stated that the Obelisks in Extinction are a “prototype”.
- There is no large body of water in Extinction due to the fact that water has dried up on the surface of the Earth.
- In Extinction, Proto-ARKs dot the map. These Proto-ARKs are surrounded by a bubble and contain an Obelisk.
- Near the Desert Dome where the barrier is, a massive crater from a previous ARK that went to space can be seen.
- City Terminals can charge Charge Batteries.
- Both Cryopod and Cryofridge were extinction-exclusive engrams. This was changed with the release of Valguero map, allowing access to their engram in all maps.
- Prior to the release of Genesis, players who logged their survivor out from The Island or any free DLC maps were taken to the same title screen as when they had their survivors logged out of Extinction.
- In lore, Extinction is the setting of some of the most tragic moments in the ARK lore.
- The survivors that were with Helena, Mei Yin and Santiago were mentally broken down when they realized they escaped the ARKs only to land in an even greater danger instead of safety.
- For Santiago, he never got to see the Mega Mek he created since he had to use a mek to lure away the horde that is going to attack Camp Omega, sacrificing himself in the process.
- For Helena, she had to sacrifice her mind and body to save her friends but she was too late and Mei Yin was the only survivor she saved from the King Titan. Even though the survivors she couldn't save are buried by Mei Yin and Diana and at rest, Helena isn't at rest as her mind slowly crumbles beneath the knowledge that flows through her as a Homo Deus.
- For Mei Yin, she has already lost Wuzhui to the New Legion, Ao Yue to reapers and Diana to Rockwell, but now she lost Helena, her closest friend who is in a coma and the survivors who died by the King Titan's hands. After Helena ascended to Homo Deus status, Mei Yin thought she was going to live out a new life in a torturous wasteland alone. On top of that, her promise from Diana about flying a jet seems to be forever out of reach. But different from the other survivors, she rebounds when she reunites with a newly resurrected Diana.
- For Diana, she returned with Mei Yin to grab the other 2 mek suits only to see those suits be surrounded by badly decomposed corpses of survivors that she deeply trusted back on Aberration.
- Shortly after the launch of Extinction, the Corrupted Deathworm was removed from the game.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
|309.42||Fixed multiple cases where the Bloodstalker couldn't swing around Extinction|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]