Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|DLC about the Corrupted Earth of ARK|
|Content Type||Expansion Pack|
|PC Release Date||November 6th, 2018|
|Xbox Release Date||November 13th, 2018|
|PS4 Release Date||November 13th, 2018|
|Switch Release Date||Unreleased|
|This article is about a creature, item, or feature exclusive to the DLC: Extinction|
|“||ARK: Extinction is going to challenge and delight you in all sorts of new ways.||„|
Extinction was released on November 6th, 2018 for PC and released on November 13th for Xbox One and PS4, and is available for purchase through the Season Pass.
- 1 Overview
- 2 The Corrupted Earth Map
- 3 Creatures
- 4 Items
- 5 Explorer Notes
- 6 Artifacts
- 7 Spotlight
- 8 Notes/Trivia
- 9 Gallery
- 10 External links
- 11 References
Overview[edit | edit source]
Extinction places survivors on an Element-infested, ravaged planet filled with fantastical creatures both organic and technological. Earth holds both the secrets of the past and the keys to its salvation.
Unique Environmental Features[edit | edit source]
- Eclipses that temporarily dim the light.
- Geysers that launch survivors and Creatures into the air.
- Meteor showers where meteors rain down upon the land and destroy structures and kill Creatures.
- Orbital Supply Drops that fall from the sky and Element Nodes that rise from the ground that, when activated, start PvE horde-styled events.
The Corrupted Earth Map[edit | edit source]
This map, set on Earth rather than an ARK up in space, forces players to survive an Earth unfamiliar to us: one of strange features and stranger creatures. In the center of the map lies an abandoned city, usually referred to as the Great City or Sanctuary. It is the remains of some great technologically advanced civilization, the same one that built the ARKs. Outside of the city borders, pockets of life can be hard to find among the corrupted wasteland. They are still there, however, in the protective borders of the Proto-ARKs. To the south, the desert Proto-ARK exists. To the north, the Snow Dome, a second Proto-ARK. Another exists to the northwest, called the Sunken Forest, which was supposed to be another ARK but failed when it collapsed into the ground, presumably due to there being a large sinkhole underneath it. Strangely enough, the Proto-ARKs represent past challenges the survivor has faced: the Sanctuary and Snow Dome vaguely representing The Island, the Desert Dome representing Scorched Earth, and the Sunken Forest bearing similarities to Aberration. Despite being called 'dead' this Earth may be more alive than we first thought, but with life we don't understand.
- New Resources
Corrupted Earth features several new resources as well as existing ones from previous DLCs. Some of these resources, such as Blue Crystalized Sap and Silicate serve as substitutes for other resources.
- New Features
Corrupted Earth contains several inactive structure drops known as Orbital Supply Drops and Element Nodes. This new feature requires all survivors with their tamed Creatures to fend off against waves of Corrupted Creatures to obtain the items left behind inside, in the form of PvE style raid. The in parts irregular outer boundary of the map is indicated with poles bearing red lights at the top. Crossing the outer boundary of the map will, unlike in the other maps, instantly kill you and your tamed creature.
- New Creatures
Corrupted Earth contains living creatures. The corruption of Element has led to turning most of the Creatures into a variant known as "Corrupted" which roam around the earth. Due to the over-exposure of the Element, their minds and bodies have become too Corrupted to be tamed like their original counterparts, and must be killed on sight since not only will they destroy anything non-corrupt in their way, their minds moves in a "hive-mentality" state which makes any previous Temperament they were known for redundant. These include creatures like the Corrupted Wyvern from Scorched Earth and the Corrupted Rock Drake from Aberration.
Moreover, these Corrupted Creatures react to activations of Orbital Supply Drops and Element Nodes, causing them to amass against the tribes who activated them in waves and will attack not only them, but mainly the activated drop as well.
However, not all creatures mutated by the Element submit to its "hive-mentality". Some creatures, such as Gasbags still retain its normal temperament, thus allowing survivors to tame them despite their state of appearance.
Four giant minibosses, known as "Titans" roam across sections of the map accessible through dungeons/caves once their following prototype Obelisks are activated. They are extremely aggressive, but survivors who managed to knock it down will be able to tame the savage beast temporarily.
Within Earth lies technologies like the Enforcer and the Scout. While these new Mechanical Creatures cannot be tamed like organic beings, they can be crafted by survivors with parts from destroyed Creatures and blueprints from Orbital Supply Drops to build them as part of their tribe.
Different from its predecessors, Extinction does not contain Supply Crates or Loot Crates that descend from the sky or appear on the ground as in Aberration. There are several ways to obtain loot items:
- Gacha Crystals - special Gacha Crystals provide armor, weapons and sometimes structures, but do not contain saddles, but this is the easiest and safest way to obtain said items.
- Cave Loot Crates - the three caves, Desert Cave, Forest Cave, and Ice Cave host a number of high-level Loot Crates containing weapons, armor and saddles.
- Orbital Supply Drops - defending the waves of Orbital Supply Drops and securing the loot provides armor, weapons, structures and Tek Tier items exclusive to Extinction, such as Cryopods.
- Defeating the Titans ( Desert Titan, Forest Titan and Ice Titan) provides survivors with valuable loot.
Regions[edit | edit source]
|Regions of the Extinction|
Beckette's Other Bridge
The Grip of Torment
Approximate Spawn Locations[edit | edit source]
Data Maps[edit | edit source]
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Unique Creatures[edit | edit source]
Some of the creatures here can only be "tamed" through crafting from remains of said creature's part.
- Corrupt Tumor
- Desert Titan Flock
- Forest Wyvern
- Mega Mek
- Snow Owl
Titans[edit | edit source]
A unique variant outclassing even the largest existing dinosaur Titanosaur and some of the bosses, these Titans roam around sections of the map of Extinction upon released from dungeons/caves and are extremely aggressive, but they can be tamed temporarily1. To confront the final boss of Extinction, these Titans must all be defeated.
Other Spawns[edit | edit source]
Normal Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Alpha Carnotaurus
- Alpha Raptor
- Alpha T-Rex
- Dung Beetle
- Giant Bee
- Jug Bug
- Polar Bear
- Polar Purlovia
- Rock Elemental
- Rubble Golem
- Sabertooth Salmon
- Tek Parasaur
- Tek Quetzal
- Tek Raptor
- Tek Rex
- Tek Stegosaurus
- Terror Bird
- Thorny Dragon
- Woolly Rhino
Corrupted Creatures[edit | edit source]
Corrupted variants can be found wandering around Earth, most notably in the Wasteland. These dino/creatures have been infected by Element to the point where their minds are under a "hive-mentality", rendering them untameable, and must be killed as they are extremely aggressive (even naturally skittish creatures).
- Corrupted Arthropluera
- Corrupted Carnotaurus
- Corrupted Chalicotherium
- Corrupted Dilophosaur
- Corrupted Dimorphodon
- Corrupted Giganotosaurus
- Corrupted Paraceratherium
- Corrupted Pteranodon
- Corrupted Raptor
- Corrupted Reaper King
- Corrupted Rex
- Corrupted Rock Drake
- Corrupted Spino
- Corrupted Stegosaurus
- Corrupted Triceratops
- Corrupted Wyvern
- Enraged Corrupted Rex
- Enraged Triceratops
Event Creatures[edit | edit source]
Items[edit | edit source]
All items from the base game are available on Extinction in addition to the items below.
Resources[edit | edit source]
Extinction adds the following Resources:
- Blue Crystalized Sap
- Condensed Gas
- Corrupted Nodule
- Crafted Element Dust
- Fragmented Green Gem
- Fungal Wood
- Gacha Crystal
- Red Crystalized Sap
- Unstable Element
- Unstable Element Shard
Consumables[edit | edit source]
Extinction adds the following Consumables:
Trophies and Tributes[edit | edit source]
- Corrupt Heart
- Desert Titan Trophy
- Forest Titan Trophy
- Gasbags bladder
- Homo Deus Record
- Ice Titan Trophy
- King Titan Trophy (Gamma)
- King Titan Trophy (Beta)
- King Titan Trophy (Alpha)
- King Titan Flag
- King Titan Flag (Mecha)
Weapons, Armor, and Tools[edit | edit source]
- Cannon Shell
- Rocket Pod
- Scout Remote
- Taxidermy Tool
- Tek Gravity Grenade
- Unassembled Enforcer
- Unassembled Mek
Structures[edit | edit source]
Extinction adds the following Structures:
- Delivery Crate
- Dino Leash
- Large Taxidermy Base
- Medium Taxidermy Base
- Small Taxidermy Base
- Tek Bridge
Saddles[edit | edit source]
Extinction adds the following Saddles:
Cosmetics[edit | edit source]
- HomoDeus Boots Skin
- HomoDeus Gloves Skin
- HomoDeus Helmet Skin
- HomoDeus Pants Skin
- HomoDeus Shirt Skin
Explorer Notes[edit source]
In addition to the Explorer Notes, Dossiers can also be found on Extinction, written by Helena Walker to document the research of the Extinction's creatures. For more in-depth information, see Dossiers.
Artifacts[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
- The Corrupted Earth, which is the setting for this DLC, is visible after the final boss fight of Aberration and after you are sent through portal frames in the Element Falls shaft.
- It is also visible during the Overseer battle and during the Island's Ascension cut-scene, though it can only be seen from space and appears as a desert planet.
- Unlike the main game and the previous DLC Scorched Earth and like Aberration, this expansion pack includes mainly non-existent creatures from fantasy. (e.g: Managarmr, Velonasaur and Gacha).
- On the Steam page for the Season Pass, the first targeted release date was spring 2018 which was changed in December, 2017 to a general 2018 release date. It was finally released on November 6, 2018.
- One to two hours after the ARKaeology event started, the banner time was replaced by another banner, hinting a new creature and one of the tainted areas within the map.
- On the third day, the countdown was brought over to the Twitch channel, with an updated banner that constantly changed over time.
- In the 4 hour mark, a dinosaur could be seen in the same banner during the countdown in twitch channel, showing a Rex within the red mist.
- In the 3 hour mark, a small object (Possibly Scout) could be seen above the said creature's head.
- The trailer was released on June 19, 2018, along with the mention of the prolonged event "Extinction Chronicles" lasting through November.
- A variant of bosses known as Titans could be seen at the end of the trailer.
- From the start of trailer, the survivor is seen with an Alpha Ascension Implant, when compared to previous DLC trailers where they have not ascended.
- In the trailer a creature that seemed to be made of Element (known as the Enforcer) teleported to and attacked a Giganotosaurus. Based on its appearance, they may appear to be linked to Attack Drone and Defense Unit.
- In a trailer Electromagnetic waves were show to be present at certain locations, rendering items such as GPS useless. However that never made it to the final version in the game. It may have possibly been scrapped.
- During an interview with Wildcard, they stated that they are unsure if Mechanical Creatures such as Enforcers found in Extinction will be normally tamed like other Creatures, or if they will be "crafted".
- This is the first Expansion Pack to have the logo with only one glowing edge and a sharp top end. Every other Expansion, including the base game, has had three glowing edges and a blunt top end.
- The pointed-top light on the Extinction logo also looks similar to the Specimen Implant, implying that it could be a new implant style obtained by doing some sort of Ascension on Extinction, as better implants have been gained in the past by ascending.
- This is also the first (and only) expansion pack to have an event following its upcoming release (Extinction Chronicles).
- In each of the Titan areas, an Obelisk is shown implying that there could be more than three Obelisk on the map.
- A mysterious teaser video was tweeted out by Wildcard Chris, showcasing some sort of mysterious robot or mech known as a Mek.
- One of the new Extinction Chronicles notes, ??? #13 stated that the Obelisks in Extinction are a “prototype”.
- There is no large body of water in Extinction due to the fact that water has dried up on the surface of the Earth.
- This is the first and only paid DLC that features creatures and equipments exclusive to a previous map in ARK.
- However, only few of the creatures from Scorched Earth appears here ( Wyvern are corrupted, and both Jerboa and Phoenix do not exist). All the creatures from Aberration are corrupted and are untamable.
- Ragnarok is a free DLC map made by mod makers that contains almost all the features found at Scorched Earth.
- This is also the first time that Ragnarok, a non-canon map, had some of its details used. The Tek Sword and the Tek Shield can be obtained through killing their respective Titans, and the Ice Wyvern was referenced in Managarmr dossier, though it was mentioned that it inhabited the desert, which is false.
- In Extinction, Proto-ARKs dot the map. These Proto-ARKs are surrounded by a bubble and contain an Obelisk.
- At the end of the launch trailer for Extinction, a mysterious woman speaks to us. This could be ???.
- This is the first DLC to have craft-able creatures.
- Near the Desert Dome where the barrier is, a massive crater from a previous ARK that went to space can be seen.
- City Terminals can charge Charge Batteries.
- ??? is the same person as The One Who Waits.
- Both Cryopod and Cryofridge were extinction-exclusive engrams. This was changed with the release of Valguero map, allowing access to their engram in all maps.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]