Game Modes are different ways to play Ark: Survival Evolved.
The current Ark game mode can only be changed by the server admin. The commands to change the game mode on your server are available here.
Available Game Modes[edit | edit source]
Player vs Player[edit | edit source]
Player vs. Player (also known as PvP or PvPvE) is a mode where players are able to deal damage to or kill each other. In PvP players can also damage or destroy another tribe's buildings or kill their dinos.
By default, PvP is enabled.
Player vs Environment[edit | edit source]
Player vs. Environment (PvE) is a mode where players are unable to directly damage another player. Players also can't damage other tribe's dinos or structures. However, there is a PvE demolish timer that allows destruction of other tribe's structures if no member of the tribe has logged in for a specific amount of time. Also, flying mounts are unable to pick up wild dinos in PvE. On these servers, the only threat to survival is the environment.
PvE is available as a Server Parameter at startup and by default is set to false. To change this parameter, the server has to be restarted.
PvX (Mobile)[edit | edit source]
|This section is about a feature exclusively available on Mobile|
PvX is a game mode exclusive to ARK: Survival Evolved Mobile. In PvX, the aspects of PvP and PvE are combined into one map.
- Rules for PvX
- A giant border wall is present in the game, marking the PvP zone
- The center of the Island, all caves, and Carno Island are all PvP zones
- No building is allowed near the central PvP border for 100 ft. on either side
- Standard PvE structure prevention rules are in place on the entire Island (ie. no cave building, no obelisk building)
- Additional structure prevention rules are applied to Carno Island and the Volcano (except for the very top of the Volcano)
- The following buffs are active in the PvP zones: +50% Stamina, +10% Melee Damage, +10% Movement Speed, +50% XP Gains, +50% Structure Health, and +50% Imprint Effectiveness
- The following buffs are active in the PvE zone: -50% XP Gains
- Resource respawn rates are reduced 3x in the PvE zone
- Resource respawn rates are increased 2x in PvP zones
- Tribe size is limited to 6 Survivors
- Supply Beacons have been added to the PvP zones
- Amber Deposits only spawn in the PvP zones
- Revival Platforms cannot be placed in the PvE zone
- Survivors cannot be dragged or carried from PvP to the PvE zone
- Upon leaving a PvP zone, there is a 20 second cooldown timer before PvE rules take effect
- The following 4 creatures are incredibly rare to find in the PvE zone: Tyrannosaurus Rex, Giganotosaurus, Quetzal and Argentavis
- Crafting Stations are not available for purchase from the in-game store
- Industrial Grinders are disabled.
- Known Issues
- Approximately 10% of Supply Beacons are landing underground
PvX Clock (Mobile)[edit | edit source]
Hardcore[edit | edit source]
Both PvP and PvE game modes can be played in Hardcore mode. When a player dies in the Hardcore, they can not respawn and a new character must be created.
By default, Hardcore is disabled.
ARKpocalypse (PC)[edit | edit source]
Both PvP and PvE game modes can be played in ARKpocalypse mode. On ARKpocalypse servers, the server resets automatically after a month, with an in-game countdown and dramatic meteor impact.
By default, ARKpocalypse is disabled.
This gamemode takes place at a faster pace, as it has multiplies all rates (harvesting, taming etc.) x3. This mode is very good for new players or people looking to play for a short period of time.
Specialty Servers[edit | edit source]
Speciality servers are alternate game modes that last for a limited amount of time. Each new theme will bring on a new set of challenges different from that of servers currently available.
Small Tribes[edit | edit source]
Small Tribes servers are a type of specialty server that limit the tribe size to 6 players and alliances are not allowed. Server rates are 3x (harvest, taming, experience) and are not be affected by Evolution Events. They also have 2x maturation, 2x egg hatching, 2x gestation and 50% reduced mating interval.
Conquest[edit | edit source]
|This section is about a feature exclusively available on Steam|
Conquest PVP servers are a type of specialty server that focus on big tribes and big battles. These servers have 2x rates (unaffected by Evolution Events) and have a player cap of 100. Tribes are limited to 25 players max, alliances are disabled, and 36 servers will exist within the Conquest cluster.
Primitive[edit | edit source]
Both PvP and PvE game modes can be played in Primitive mode. When Primitive is enabled, the engram skill tree is missing everything from the advanced/modern tier except for saddles. High tier gear and structures are disabled. This includes fabricated items, all ranged weapons (excluding crossbows, Bows, and slingshots). The Primitive Cannon is also not able to be used in primitive servers. By default, Primitive is disabled.
Survival of the Fittest[edit | edit source]
Survival of the Fittest was a special game mode that was introduced to Ark in Patch 200.0 and is now a standalone game. Its gameplay heavily differs from normal gameplay. The goal of the game mode is to become the last man standing by killing all other competitors on the island. In Survival of the Fittest, the game settings are modified to fit a faster paced style of gameplay.
Survival of the Fittest takes place on special servers.
Single Player[edit | edit source]
Single Player is a mode that allows survivors to play ARK offline as singleplayer. On the xbox one and ps4 you can use the splitscreen function to play with a friend.
References[edit | edit source]