Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Ichthyosaurus curiosa is a comparatively small carnivore found in the waters around the island. It is slightly larger than a human, but that’s still small compared to the leviathans roaming these waters. It seems to be very interested in any creature around its size, often approaching and following humans swimming through its waters.
Despite its appearance, the Ichthyosaurus is neither a fish nor an ocean mammal. Like many creatures in the waters around the island, it is actually an aquatic reptile.
I can’t think of a better mount for someone starting to explore the island’s seas and waterways. Ichthyosaurus is comparatively fast swimmer, and even in the wild will cozy right up to you and try to figure out what you’re doing. Taming these is actually pretty easy, as they seem to love humans and will be fed and tamed without the use of violence.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Ichthyosaurs are a very friendly species to most creatures, and will often swim towards you and around you out of curiosity. They will push you ashore if you run out of stamina and can't surface for oxygen in time. They act a lot like modern dolphins. Ichthyosaurs in the northwestern waters can be found killing and eating wild Kairuku.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
An Ichthyosaur is a mid-sized marine reptile, taking the rough shape of a dolphin. It has large eyes for spying fish and squid in the dark depths, a long snout for catching said prey, and a large brain that gives the animal its inherently curious nature.
Color Scheme and Regions
This section displays the Ichthy's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Ichthy. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Ichthy will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command "cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>".
For example, "cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6" would color the Ichthy's "body" magenta.
Region 1 is not used
Region 2 is not used
Region 3 is not used
Back and Fins
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpor increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
5The Ichthy is incapable of drowning.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Ichthy.
General[edit | edit source]
The Ichthy will flee once you or your pet attacks it.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
There are two ways of doing this:
- It's recommend using a fast water mount and chasing it down, which is the most effective and fastest way.
- The more wasteful and time consuming way is to get a fast flying mount, pick up a friend or tribe mate, and have them get a gun or bow/crossbow and shoot it from above.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Any aquatic mount or even just spears can take out an Ichthyosaur.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
Weakness[edit | edit source]
These animals don't have that much health, so killing them isn't that difficult in general.
Taming[edit | edit source]
The Ichthy is unable to be tamed through the standard tranquilize-and-feed methods, and must be tamed non-violently.
To feed it, place raw meat on the last slot of your hotbar, then when approached press use (default E) to feed it. You cannot feed them all the meat required for taming at one time, you must wait every couple of minutes until it is hungry again to feed it more until its taming meter is filled.
- The Ichthyosaurus will nuzzle up to tamed aquatic creatures, so using them to help tame them is recommended.
- The Ichthyosaurus may try to swim away while you are taming it.
- It will co-habitat with Megalodons and Mantas, which together with the water can make Taming them a bit dangerous.
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||2||08:14||0:08:14|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||5||03:12||0:12:51|
|Raw Prime Meat||4||03:26||0:10:18|
|Cooked Prime Meat||7||02:59||0:17:59|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||9||01:26||0:11:35|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||17||01:24||0:22:28|
|Raw Fish Meat||25||01:20||0:32:09|
|Cooked Fish Meat||50||00:39||0:32:09|
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||3||06:10||0:12:21|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||12||02:48||0:30:50|
|Raw Prime Meat||8||02:56||0:20:35|
|Cooked Prime Meat||16||02:44||0:41:06|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||20||01:21||0:25:43|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||40||01:21||0:52:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||59||01:18||1:15:52|
|Cooked Fish Meat||118||00:38||1:15:52|
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||5||05:08||0:20:34|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||19||02:42||0:48:49|
|Raw Prime Meat||13||02:47||0:33:26|
|Cooked Prime Meat||25||02:40||1:04:13|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||32||01:19||0:41:09|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||63||01:20||1:23:14|
|Raw Fish Meat||94||01:17||2:00:52|
|Cooked Fish Meat||188||00:38||2:00:52|
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||7||04:47||0:28:47|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||26||02:40||1:06:48|
|Raw Prime Meat||18||02:43||0:46:18|
|Cooked Prime Meat||35||02:38||1:29:55|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||43||01:19||0:55:18|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||86||01:20||1:53:37|
|Raw Fish Meat||129||01:17||2:45:52|
|Cooked Fish Meat||258||00:38||2:45:52|
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||9||04:37||0:37:01|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||33||02:38||1:24:46|
|Raw Prime Meat||22||02:41||0:56:35|
|Cooked Prime Meat||44||02:37||1:53:02|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||55||01:18||1:10:43|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||110||01:19||2:25:19|
|Raw Fish Meat||165||01:17||3:32:09|
|Cooked Fish Meat||329||00:38||3:31:31|
|Kibble (Dodo Egg)||10||04:34||0:41:08|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||40||02:38||1:42:45|
|Raw Prime Meat||27||02:40||1:09:26|
|Cooked Prime Meat||54||02:37||2:18:43|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||67||01:18||1:26:09|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||133||01:19||2:55:42|
|Raw Fish Meat||200||01:17||4:17:09|
|Cooked Fish Meat||399||00:38||4:16:31|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator. Ingredients for Kibble (Dodo Egg): 1 × Dodo Egg , 1 × Rockarrot , 1 × Cooked Meat , 2 × Mejoberry , 3 × Fiber , 1 × Water
Utility[edit | edit source]
- Scout: While it initially has a lower sprinting speed than the Plesiosaur and Mosasaurus, it gains the highest absolute Value (135) per Level and can easily grow to be the fastest underwater mount other than the manta. Sprinting may also be maintained due to low Stamina drain (Level Speed and some Stamina).
- Black Pearl Farmer: It can be used to farm Eurypterids since it is the only mount besides the Angler that has no knockback, which usually has a massive effect on the Eurypterids, and because of that they may be constantly attacked and killed effortlessly by the Ichthy. A big advantage compared to the Angler is that the Ichthy does not gain any torpor, which the Eurypterids can massively inflict (Level Health and Melee Damage).
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Ichthy, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- In the dossier there is a picture that presumably depicts the relative size between the Ichthyosaurus and the Megalodon of the island. Disturbingly, there is a much larger creature behind the Megalodon. It might be a Mosasaurus, but the background creature may also be a hint at an underwater boss.
- Before patch 183.2, Ichthyosaurs would die if even a fraction of them was above the water.
- Prior to being added, Ichthyosaurus was referred to in the "upcoming week patch notes" as Shastasaurus.
- As Ichthys are reptiles, the lack of an oxygen attribute is an error.
- They are one of the few species in ark to retain their eating animation after they are tamed. However their eating animation is slightly glitched as their long snouts actually cross each other.
- Ichthys attract Megalodons. Be careful while trying to find them a safe place.
- Ichthyosaurus are attracted by other tamed Ichthy and Megalodons.
- Although being attracted to water pets may be a benefit for players looking to tame one, AFKing for even a few minutes could attract enough to stop your Plesio or Mosa from moving.
- Despite the common belief that Icthyosaurus is playful and curious in ARK, they can actually be quite aggressive to wild terrestrial creatures. So long as a player or tamed animal is nowhere in the vicinity, Icthyosaurus are incredibly aggressive, similar to Megalodons, and will attack just about any land animal that gets into the same vicinity of them. Although they can be found in the north killing and eating Kairuku, they often tussle with Carbonemys in warmer waters; they will attack Ankylosaurus, Carnotaurus, Raptors, and even Rexes if there is no player in the immediate vicinity. This is most likely a bug.
- If you tranq a creature, like a Parasaur, and it slides into the ocean where Ichthys are present, the Ichthys will attack and eat the drowned creature.