Lower South Cave
83.5° Lat, 56.0° Lon
This cave is in the south-central part of the Island, just north of the sandy cove. It can easily be reached on foot from the western bank of the river just west of the cove. Begin your trek at approximately (81.2, 49.5) and head east into the small ravine. Cave entrance is in the right cliff wall, a few hundred meters from the beach.
The Lower South Cave is one of the easiest caves on the island, though it is still significantly more dangerous than anything in the nearby surface environment. Multiple creatures will slow and tranquilize the survivor as they swarm to the fight, and narrow, twisty passages can make a hasty retreat difficult.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Cold, though not enough to cause hypothermia (50F inside the cave)
- Looping, similar-looking paths can cause disorientation
- Ambushes from cave creatures lurking in crevices and dropping from holes in the ceiling - watch your back!
- Torpidity induced by Arthropluera, Pulmonoscorpius, Titanoboa, and Araneo
- Mega Rabies from Megalania and Onyc attacks
- Web attacks from Araneo will slow the survivor
- Significant risk to armor from Arthropluera's acid attack
- Waters full of Sarcosuchus and Piranha
- Attacking Arthropluera with Melee type attacks does inflict damage to yourself (or your tame)
Creatures[edit | edit source]
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Megalania Toxin
- Rare Mushroom
- Raw Fish Meat
- Raw Meat
- Raw Prime Meat
Loot Drops (Items & Blueprints)[edit | edit source]
in the section Generic Caves, Green - Level 10
Recommended Equipment[edit | edit source]
The equipment recommendations below are likely sufficient for a single trip through the cave, without carting out all of the metal, obsidian, and crystal. If you plan on looting the cave completely (or returning often), you may want to bring supplies to build a Smithy within the cave to repair armor.
The cave contains limited quantities of plants for Fiber and various berries, but no trees (so no Wood or Thatch). You will be able to harvest mass quantities of Raw Meat, Raw Prime Meat, and Raw Fish Meat while in the cave, so a Campfire can be handy to replenish food supplies.
- Chitin Armor, Fur Armor or better
- 3 × Torch
- 3 × Bug Repellant
- 30 × Cooked Meat
- 5 × Medical Brew
- 20 × Stimulant or 100 × Stimberries to counteract Torpor-inducing attacks
- Bow, Crossbow, Shotgun, or Pump-Action Shotgun
- 60 × Stone Arrow or 60 × Simple Shotgun Ammo
- 2 × Water Jar or 2 × Waterskin or Canteen
- 10 × Standing Torch to aid in navigation
Tips[edit | edit source]
- Using Bug Repellant will make it easier to avoid Araneo and Arthropluera, however they are usually palling around with Titanoboa so you may have to do careful aggro of the snakes to draw them away
- If cave navigation is a concern, place Standing Torch on the left side of cave paths as you descend; when exiting, keep the torches on your right to be sure you are heading in the correct direction
- You can speed-run to the Artifact and back by going left at the first T, then left in the first large room and dropping off the cliff (into a nest of creatures, beware!). Escape back up the cliff using a Grappling Hook or by riding a Beelzebufo. On Mobile version you can climb up the cliff by jumping on the left corner of it (there is a small natural rim there, may take a couple tries)
- The lakes have only small "beach" areas where you can safely exit the water; do not jump into a lake without knowing where the "beach" is!
- Non-flying tames following you on Neutral or Aggressive will launch themselves off cliffs to defend you and may occasionally stumble down a cliff even if not aggro'd; tell them to Stop well back from any cliff before you walk up to it
- Since one can farm a lot of Chitin and Hide (not to mention Experience) from the creatures in the cave, it's a good idea to wear Chitin Armor while farming. If Arthroplueras break your armor, all you need is fiber (available from plants within the cave) and a nearby Smithy or Castoroides to repair it!
- A full looting of the cave (including lakes) will net several stacks of Metal and Crystal and a few stacks of Obsidian (most of this is in the lakes)
- There are several Crystal nodes (but no Metal or Obsidian) which can be encountered before you reach points where creatures spawn
- Of the eight cavedrop/loot crate locations shown on the map, only two will be active at a time. Don't forget to check the lakes: three of the potential drop locations are underwater! Note: No loot crate on Mobile.
- There is a cul-de-sac at the bottom of a spiraling ramp near the entrance to the cave where creatures can be led and trapped and shot at from above. This area is very safe for taming, being far away from the areas where creatures begin to spawn, yet deep enough into the cave that a battle with surface predators or enemy tribe members at the entrance to the cave likely won't disturb a tame.
- At night, a Megalosaurus is the safest choice for a mount inside the cave. Not only is it too big to be grabbed by other active Megalosaurs, it also lifts the rider above the level of an Arthropluera's spit attack. Just don't forget to leave before morning!
- Allosaurus is the largest creature that can enter the Lower South Cave, which means you can ride an Allosaurus into the cave and cave creatures will ignore you if you don’t attack them.
- Take caution, as Megalania will deal Mega Rabies, leaving most players below 300HP to die a slow and annoying death. Bring healing items! Note: Not on Mobile.
Compatible Tamed Creatures[edit | edit source]
|This section is outdated. Please help if you can.|
The talk page may contain more information.
Reason: "PC Update v252.0 introduced a new cave design.
If you verify a creature's access, please update its notes to indicate the version you were playing on."
This table is incomplete.
You can help us by adding the tamed creatures you know can enter the cave. If the creature can't enter, please exclude it.
- Excellent: Full-Cave Access (Entrance-to-Artifact)
- Limited: Can Access Portions of the Cave Safely
- Not Recommended: Can Get Stuck/Unable to Leave Cave
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Considered one of the easiest caves, very good for farming experience. The green area where the tunnel forks in a "T" leading down to the areas with the Explorer Notes and the area with the Artifact of the Hunter marks the start of where creatures begin to spawn, but beware: they may chase players to areas closer towards the entrance!
- As of version 242.x, there is still a bug just inside the entrance to the cave at approximately 82.3 52.9 that will teleport you to the surface or fall through the world. Try to attempt one or more of the following as a workaround:
- Run and jump through the teleportation point.
- Crawl (prone) through the teleportation point.
- Walk along the left wall (without touching the wall).
- Remove any items from your hands (or hotbar).
- There are two dossier notes in this location; one for Kaprosuchus and one for Leeches.
- Apparently, Allosaurus is the largest creature that can fit this cave.
- Since there are not a lot of animals in the cave, it makes for a great place to tame Arthropleura on ARK: Mobile and request them to the surface.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
old Cavelayout prior to 254.0