|This article is about content exclusive to the DLC: Scorched Earth, Ragnarok, Valguero, Genesis: Part 1, Crystal Isles|
|This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4, Epic Games.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/ScorchedEarth/Dinos/Moth/Moth_Character_BP.Moth_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Lymantria (Gauntlet)
admincheat summon Moth_Character_BP_Gauntlet_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Gauntlet/Bog/Moth_Character_BP_Gauntlet.Moth_Character_BP_Gauntlet'" 500 0 0 35
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Changelog
- 8 Gallery
- 9 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Like its smaller relatives, Lymantria sporarmis survives by draining plants and vegetables of their nutrients. Given the desolate nature of the region, that makes its options rather limited, but fortunately its relationship with the desert's plants is symbiotic. In addition to pollinating them, the spores it releases help nourish the harsh desert plants.
When attacked, the slow-moving Lymantria immediately takes to the air and flies almost straight up while releasing spores. While the spores are nutritious to most plants, they are highly poisonous to most other organisms.
Lymantria is occasionally used as a one man flying mount, but its ability to produce silk and spores is often considered more valuable due to its slow flight speed. Its silk can be weaved into heat-dispersing cloth, and its spores gathered for fertilizer or poison. Its saving grace as a mount is its ability to release spores mid flight, allowing it to act as a primitive bomber during sieges.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Passive. Upon combat with a player or dino it will deploy a green mist of spores, that slows players and dinos by 90% and drains stamina. While its attacker is distracted, it will flee.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
It seems to resemble a giant moth, with bright colored wings.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Lymantria's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Lymantria. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Lymantria will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Lymantria's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Lymantria's "body" magenta.
Face and Antennae
Proboscis and Underside
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase||Taming Bonus|
|Movement||Base Speed||Sprinting Speed||Stamina|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
Will fly away when attacked.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Avoid green mist/spores.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Ranged weapons are recommended in order to avoid the spores.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
When you hit the Lymantria, it deploys a cloud of spores which will deplete stamina as well as slowing dinos and players by 90%. watch out for wild dinosaurs while fighting, if you get hit by the spores any medium sized carnivore will make short work of you.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Use a bola to stop it from flying away.
Taming[edit | edit source]
For general infos about domesticating a wild creature see Taming.
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
Use a bola so it can't fly away, then knock it out. While it doesn't have very high torpor, it also has rather low health, so using a boomerang is discouraged unless it's a higher level. Shoot its wing and abdomen with a standard bow and tranq shots and be quick or it will either die or fly away. you can also place a tent on it while it has landed and pelt it with arrows or darts
Taming Food[edit | edit source]
|KO: × 55; × 23; × 7; × 4; × 3; × 2|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.3 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:30:33|
|KO: × 151; × 62; × 17; × 10; × 7; × 4|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.5 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:50:23|
|KO: × 250; × 102; × 28; × 16; × 12; × 6|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.66 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:04:00|
|KO: × 349; × 143; × 39; × 23; × 16; × 8|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.79 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:13:52|
|KO: × 448; × 183; × 50; × 29; × 21; × 11|
|Torpidity-depletion: 0.92 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:21:37|
|KO: × 547; × 224; × 61; × 35; × 25; × 13|
|Torpidity-depletion: 1.04 / s, Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:28:01|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Preferred Food[edit | edit source]
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- Beginner Flying Mount: It can't fly very fast and its attack is rather weak, so It is mostly used for beginning players who just want a flying mount to get past particularly difficult terrain. Lymantria will kibble tame before their topor drains completely and a tent will last longer than the taming process. Lymantria can be quickly captured in a tent, tranquilized, and forgotten about with kibble in their inventory. Depending on the server event, this can generate an herbivorous flying mount in 20 minutes or less with spike walls being a formality. The lymantria does not require a dinosaur gate and will comfortably fit through a double doorframe.
- Taming Mount: Unlike other flyers, the Lymantria cannot pick up creatures. However, its slowing ability does not aggro neutral creatures such as Morellatops or Paraceratherium. This allows the rider to slow down a target while leaving other tribe members to tame the slow-moving creature.
- Silk Producer: On ARK Digest number 40, the Moth was confirmed to produce silk in a future update. making it incredibly useful not only on Scorched Earth, but on maps without any way to make silk for possible tools and armor repairs.
- Bomber Squadron Mount: Due to Moth's being able to drop Spores a long distance, they could be used to drop onto enemies to slow them and allow time for others to attack, like a Pteradon Fighter Squadron. (Upgrade Health and Stamina)
- Scout: Lymantria use about 0.75 stamina/second whilst hovering, close to 1.1 stamina/second while flying, and drain a massive 6.8 stamina/second while sprinting. Their hovering mode does not produce a sound, similar to the pelagornis mid-air stall. Their wing sound is muted when flying( compared to an argentavis or pteranodon), and few players are trained to listen for it They also have a very tight turning radius while ridden and can easily navigate in tight spaces. Their stamina drain and slowing attack allows the player to cheese it when necessary, though at a heavy stamina cost to their own tame.
- Egg-stealer: Lymantria are not recommended as wyvern egg stealers, due to their flying speed being slower than a tapejara and wyvern attack AoE being large. That said, Lymantria will fit through a double doorframe and someone will be crazy enough to fry a few lymantria trying. A squadron of lymatria may successfully distract the aggravated wyverns and allow a faster mount to escape. For a cheap wyvern egg stealer, seek out a griffin because their bombarding attack generates excess inertia, allowing the pilot to quickly gain ludicrous speed( far outpacing a wyvern) and height through swooping maneuvers.
- In-doors “Lift Truck”: Due to Lymantria’s ability to fit through double doors land and it’s very good maneuverality without being too fast (unlike the Preranodon), this giant moth can find a niche role as an in-doors mule. With a very upgraded weight stat, this creature can help in some tiresome tasks such as moving huge loads of metal from an Industrial Forge to a Fabricator or a smithy. This role is particularly great in unofficial servers with a modifier on Weight upgrade effectiveness.
- Aerial Attack:
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Lymantria, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- Lymantria is one of the only 3 creatures that aren't capable of inflicting damage with their attack with the others being Diplodocus and Scout.
- On February 15, 2016, a fan-made dossier of a giant lepidoptera was uploaded onto the fan art section of the Ark forums.
- The spores do not affect other Lymantria.
- It is the only rideable flying herbivore in the game.
- Although Lymantria lay unfertilized eggs and can't reproduce they still some how manage to spawn into the Ark worlds.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
|246.0 Scorched Earth Expansion Release||Lymantria is added to the game|
|252.83||Made all flyers, excluding the Quetzal and Wyvern, to become grounded and unable to fly when C4 Charge is attached to them. To disable this, use the server command, ?ForceFlyerExplosives=true|
|252.9||Fixed C4 on groundable flyers taking effect when they're not over-water|
|253.8||Client fixed flyers falling through the world when grabbed by the Megalosaurus or Kaprosuchus|
|256.0||Added the flyer nerf.
|259.0||Fixed an issue where flyers out of stamina would not auto-land and become stuck mid-air|
|263.0||Increased the ride distance for flyers to help players in the water to remount|
|312.65||Mounting a flyer will no longer instantly cause it to take off|