|This article is about content exclusive to the DLC: Genesis: Part 1|
|This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/Cherufe/Cherufe_Character_BP.Cherufe_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Magmasaur (Gauntlet)
admincheat summon Cherufe_Character_BP_Gauntlet_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Gauntlet/Volcanic/Cherufe_Character_BP_Gauntlet.Cherufe_Character_BP_Gauntlet'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Magmasaur (Retrieve)
admincheat summon Cherufe_Character_BP_Retrieve_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/Genesis/Dinos/MissionVariants/Retrieve/Volcanic/Cherufe_Character_BP_Retrieve.Cherufe_Character_BP_Retrieve'" 500 0 0 35
1 Adults cannot be tamed, but Wild Eggs can be hatched.
3 Can only breed in lava.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Raising
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Bugs and Glitches
- 8 Changelog
- 9 Gallery
- 10 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur is a fire-based Creature that gains strength and charges up attacks through heat. It has an affinity for lava to the point of even swimming in it, and dislikes water. The Magmasaur has a heat-resistant Saddle that protects the survivor from heat, fire, and lava.
The Magmasaur will consume anything which helps to build up some of its attacks and can act as a Refining Forge to smelt Metal and refine other resources. Cold temperatures and contact with water will weaken the Magmasaur, causing it to become much slower in its fire attacks.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur can be found in and around any source of lava in the volcano biome. They can also be found in very large numbers around their egg spawns inside the volcano.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Magmasaur's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Magmasaur. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Magmasaur will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>.
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Magmasaur's "main" magenta.
Region 1 is not used
Region 3 is not used
Region 4 is not used
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpidity increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting||Stamina Used|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
|Bite||Stamina Cost||Attack Range||Description|
|Attack Type||Damage||Projectile Values||Torpor Values||Status Effect: Stamina||Status Effect: Torpidity|
|Life||Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Magmasaur.
General[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur is a formidable opponent, it has multiple attack styles which can be very devastating.
The first attack that the Magmasaur has is searing spit which can strike as far as 15-20 foundations away, and can instantly destroy wood, stone, as well as metal structures within a few foundation range of the impact. It can kill any under-geared or overwhelmed survivor instantly, ignores any gear worn on him/her, and can hit you if you even if you are riding something. Survivors should be cautious they don’t find themselves on the receiving end of this attack.
The second attack that the Magmasaur can use when a survivor(s) or tamed dinosaur(s) stray too close is searing flame which causes burn damage over time. The debuff will constantly refresh until a survivor has either ran out of range or killed the Magmasaur.
Because of these two attacks they should be dealt with from afar. Magmasaurs take reduced damage from fire arms, so a high quality Compound Bow is the best method for taking them out.
The Magmasaur is completely immune to lava. A survivor should make sure they have a decent distance between themselves and the surrounding Magmasaurs before attempting to grab any eggs from their den.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Try and use ranged tools to attack the Magmasaur as it has dangerous abilities for close quarters combat. It's recommended to use a strong ground tame.
A group of survivors could possibly use any range weapon to deal damage to a Magmasaur to get aggro on a fast mount, while the other survivors wait until the Magmasaurs are far enough away from an egg before attempting to grab one.
A strong creature with high dps can kill it if you engage the magmasaur in a fight, like a high level ferox with decent melee damage.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
A Crossbow would also work if a survivor is trying to lure any Magmasaur(s) away from an egg.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur can fire meteor-like projectiles from a long distance, and their short ranged burn attack can be deadly for survivors and Creatures who stray too close. It can also wipe your wood, stone, and even metal base. They can shoot Dino’s/Humans outside of turret range, much like the Managarmr during release of its state. The Magmasaur can't be approached up close as it will give the survivor a negative status effect .
Weakness[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur is weak when exposed to cold temperatures, more so when in water (including rain).
Although risky, a survivor can flank a single Magmasaur and be able to stay behind it because of it's horrendous turn radius.
Raising[edit | edit source]
Wild Magmasaurs cannot be tamed. The survivor must steal and hatch Magmasaur Egg , or have two tamed Magmasaur breed in a lava puddle at the Volcano Biome Simulation to produce an egg. Magmasaur eggs can only be found in Magmasaur nests.
A Magmasaur egg has a five hour incubation period.
Baby Magmasaurs do not eat any food an adult would normally eat. Instead, they require Ambergris which are only obtainable at a certain rate through mining glowing cracked/tinted green rock found in the lunar biome. Ambergris restores 500 food on babies, and they have a 15 minute spoil timer upon acquisition. At the same time, it's food drop rate is similar to that of other babies, so a steady supply is required to maintain it's health. Moreover, most of the babies are born with lower than 500 Food value (rarely with higher) and only consumes when it's food reaches zero.
As Ambergris can be stored in Fridges and Tek Trough, it is well advised to use the Tek trough when accessible to preserve the Ambergris up to at most one day to keep Magmasaurs grown to Juvenile onwards fed.
Magmasaur babies loses 12 Food / per minute, 720 food / per hour on their baby state, this consumption rate will show difference (lower consumption rate) in juvenile and adolescent states.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Magmasaur are able to spit out "Searing Spit" while ridden or allowed to with Metal Ingot in its inventory. Holding the right mouse button strengthens the Searing Spit, unleashing a barrage of lava when it lands. This cannot be used or has a very slow charge rate while it's submerged in water, or while it's in cold temperature biomes such as the Arctic biome or cold parts of the Lunar biome, but its charge rate favors at hot temperatures like Volcano.
If allowed to charge up searing spit but not spit it out, pressing "c" will cause the Magmasaur to fire explosive shrapnel around its side instead, exploding nearby. It can also harm itself as well, while minimal, so care must be taken when using this.
Roles[edit | edit source]
Tank: Magmasaurs can have a very high health pool. Pair that along with their AOE taunt ability (space bar) they can aggro other dinos around them while other tribe members kill them. Magmasaurs also have moderately high base damage (Level on Health. Leveling their melee is ill-advised).
Mobile Forge/Campfire: It can smelt/convert the following item like the Phoenix per 20 seconds:
While smelting, its food drops substantially and will attempt to eat any Raw Meat inside, which are insubstantial food. Keeping mainly stones unless trying to cook meat will maintain their food. (Level in Weight, and avoid using Searing Spit as food will drain to zero.)
Golem Killer: Excluding it's AOE firebomb attack, the Magmasaur can do full damage to the Rock Elemental and it's variants using it's melee and fireball attacks. This allows you to easily counter any enemy golems.
Metal Gatherer: The Magmasaur exceeds the Ankylosaurus in terms of metal gathering by virtue of its increased mobility, weight capacity, and "apex" status that makes most non-apex predators ignore you while you gather metal. Also, since they make the rider immune to the volcanic eruption, you can continue farming inside the volcano which is ironically safer to do on PvP servers, just don't dismount until the eruption subsides! The downside is that they can't be picked up by an Argentavis (if fliers are available) or Karkinos but for the solo farmer, look no further than the Magmasaur. (Level in Weight and a little melee if needed.)
Weight Reduction[edit | edit source]
The Magmasaur reduces the Weight of the following resources by the listed amount while they are in it's inventory:
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
|Raw Prime Meat||★★★★☆|
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Magmasaur Egg has a maximum level of 150 like Deinonychus Egg, maybe because both creatures are breedable.
- The Magmasaur's charge spit attack now consumes 1 Metal Ingot per hit; not affected by the percentage of the charge.
- The Magmasaur is the second Creature to be prominently and directly affected by its environmental surroundings as a direct Status Effect, as opposed to an indirect Status Effect like Radiation; specifically high and low temperatures are instrumental in its affect to the Magmasaur, and even rain will affect it.
- Technically Spinosaurus is the first creature, becoming stronger when in water and not as strong while out.
- The Chibi-Pet for the Magmasaur, the Chibi-Cherufe, suggests that "Cherufe" is the internal coding name used.
- The term Cherufe refers to a demonic-like, man-eating humanoid creature from mythology of the Mapuche people of Chile. Made of lava, magma, and burning hot rock, the Cherufe is said to live in volcanic areas on the surface and beneath the earth, as well as be a source of meteorites, volcanic eruptions, and earthquakes. To calm the creature and temporarily stall its hunger for destruction, human sacrifices (particularly young virgin women) were required to be brought and thrown into volcanoes or volcanic pools.
- The Rage effect for the Magmasaur lasts 15 seconds.
- HLN-A's Note 7 shows an image of what appears to be a baby Magmasaur head alongside the adult. The Magmasaur can in fact be bred, making it the second raise-only tame to be breedable, with the first being the Deinonychus. They need to be in lava to be able to breed.
- The ability for the Magmasaur to contain and swim in lava is extraordinary, as not even the most heat-tolerant organisms known to exist, hyperthermophile Bacteria and Archaea, some of which can survive temperatures over 100 degrees Celsius, could even come close to surviving in lava; lava can range anywhere in temperature from natrocarbonatite lava made by the Oldoinyo Lengai volcano in Tanzania which can be as cold as 500 degrees Celsius, to the ridiculous 1,300 degrees Celsius lava found from satellite measurements on the moon Io that orbits Jupiter. All known organisms, which are carbon-based in their biochemistry, can not survive these extreme temperatures that the Magmasaur can, as the heat would destroy their basic macromolecules like DNA and proteins, being lethal. The only way that the Magmasaur could even exist is if it's not a carbon-based life form and therefore be completely alien to all known life.
- This dilemma could be mitigated if the Genesis: Part 1 simulation is indeed entirely a simulation and thus be free to break the rules of reality.
- HLN-A mentions in one of her notes that the Magmasaur was originally engineered to live on Scorched Earth, before being scrapped and reimplemented for the Genesis simulation.
- The Magmasaur and the Thorny Dragon share a similar vocal sound.
- The Magmasaur will not survive in lava on the maps Valguero or Ragnarok, however it does survive The Island volcano's lava, making it the perfect place to breed.
- Like all Genesis: Part 1 exclusive creatures, the Magmasaur does not have a proper Dossier made by Helena, as Helena was not present as a normal survivor in the simulation.
- Compared to raise-only tames like Rock Drake and Wyvern, Baby Magmasaur food drop rate is similar to that of any other babies unlike the former two babies.
- Strangely, baby/juvenile Magmasaur does not start emitting fire around itself until it has matured to 25% growth. (Even without "Enable Smelting" on) This doesn't affect the ambient temperature however.
- Magmasaur's searing spit ignores any armor worn on the survivor, unlike Basilisk and Poison Wyvern poison spit.
- Unlike the latter two however, there is no way to avoid getting damaged by the Searing Spit other than riding a tamed Magmasaur, however the flame DoT can be nullified if you're wearing full set of Hazard Suit.
Bugs and Glitches[edit | edit source]
- Magmasaur are not immune to Enflamed debuff, especially from Fire Wyvern flames and Magmasaur searing spit.
- The Magmasaur is incapable of harvesting Jug Bug corpses.
- Despite being perfectly at home in lava at Genesis: Part 1, the Volcano, Dragon Arena, South East Cave, and the Tek Cave at The Island, the Lava Island, Skull Island, and East Lava Cave at The Center, and the World Scar at Scorched Earth, all other lavas, excluding the lava in a small cave in the Boreal Forest of Valguero where the Artifact of the Crag can be found, at other maps hurt the Magmasaur. This includes lava areas at Ragnarok (Jungle Dungeon, Dragon Breath Grotto, Volcano Tippy Top, and Dragonmalte Trench), and Valguero (The Great Trench). If these areas are not fixed, then it will continue to be disastrous when players riding their Magmasaur expect these lavas to not hurt them.
- It is also noteworthy that even though the lava in the Tek Cave of The Island was more or less patched via 309.4 and most of the lava in the cave will no longer damage the Magmasaur, there are still a few certain lava places in the cave that still damage it. Oddly enough, the patch also made the deadly water at the end of the cave no longer hurt the Magmasaur as well.
- There seems to be a sporadic bug where the Magmasaur will eat 10x what it should when in Smelting mode. It will empty it's food bar completely when doing so even with an inventory full of meat.
- A fix may be feeding the Magmasaur until it is 100% full which resets the rate at which it is consuming its food bar.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
|306.41 Genesis: Part 1 Expansion Release||Magmasaur is added to the game|
|309.4||The lava in the caves of The Island, South East Cave and Tek Cave, and the lava of Scorched Earth in the World Scar trench no longer damage the Magmasaur|