admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Dragonfly/Dragonfly_Character_BP.Dragonfly_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Aberrant Meganeura
admincheat summon Dragonfly_Character_BP_Aberrant_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Dragonfly/Dragonfly_Character_BP_Aberrant.Dragonfly_Character_BP_Aberrant'" 500 0 0 35
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Meganeura quatpenna is an especially large species of dragonfly. Actually, it is a type of griffinfly, an extinct species of invertebrate that looked similar to dragonflies. Like most griffinflies, Meganeura is carnivorous, but it is typically not aggressive towards humans unless provoked or challenged for food. It lives primarily in the wetter, heavily wooded areas, such as the jungles. Meganeura is a natural predator of most of the smaller insects on the island.
Though not often aggressive, Meganeura will not turn down a free meal. They quickly appear in large numbers to scavenge off the victims of Pulmonoscorpius, rendered unconscious and unable to defend themselves. Of course the insects do have to avoid the Pulmonoscorpius itself. I have noticed it is unwise to disturb a flock of feeding Meganeura.
The size of the insects on the island confounds me. The way these creatures diffuse oxygen should limit their size but Meganeura (and other bugs) seem to be able to advance beyond this restraint. If there is more oxygen in the air this could explain Meganeura's growth.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Meganeura are usual neutral creatures, although they like to feast on nearby corpses, attacking those who get near their feast including other creatures and survivors. This can be troublesome when hunting as you may suddenly find a swarm of hungry Meganeura trying to forcefully claim your kill. A swarm that finishes devouring a corpse will attack any nearby survivor. However, when touching water, Meganeura will not attack, even if you attack them back. Likewise, walking on water while being attacked will cause the Meganeura to almost instantly lose interest in you.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Meganeura is a "small" insect, or at least small for Ark standards, with an elongated body, 2 large compound eyes, 2 pairs of wings, and 3 pairs of legs; the whole makeup of the Meganeura greatly resembles that of dragonflies, though the Meganeura is in fact a griffin fly, an extinct group of insects.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Meganeura's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Meganeura. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Meganeura will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
This information can be used to alter the Meganeura's regions by entering
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID> in the cheat console. For instance,
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Meganeura's "thorax and sides" magenta.
Thorax and Sides
Region 1 is not used
Drops[edit | edit source]
Cementing Paste is only obtainable with a Beelzebufo
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Base Value||Level Increase|
|Movement||Base Speed||Sprinting Speed|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed.
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds.
|Main Attack||Tranquilized||The target's Stamina will decrease by 2x the damage dealt over 4 seconds. This effect stacks.|
|Melee||Stamina Cost||Attack Range||Description|
|Base||Minimum||Activation||The Meganeura flies around and nibbles at the target. The target's Stamina will decrease by 2x the damage dealt over 4 seconds. This effect stacks with each bite.|
|Attack Type||Damage||Projectile Values||Torpor Values||Status Effect: Stamina||Status Effect: Torpidity|
|Life||Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Meganeura.
General[edit | edit source]
On their own, Meganeuras are neutral unless provoked. However, Meganeuras are scavengers and they will swarm freshly killed corpses and will become aggressive if you try to harvest the corpse while they feed. If you don't want to fight, back away from swarmed corpses so the Meganeuras don't attack you. Take care when entering the swamps as they contain large numbers of Meganeuras that can and will kill higher level dinos alarmingly fast if one does not escape or fight back sufficiently.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Attacking one Meganeura will cause other Meganeuras in the area to become hostile, and they have quite the high aggro range. If you kill one in one hit however, the others won't attack you. If they swarm, they will generally target your head. Using a Spear/ Pike and stabbing wildly into the air can usually take them out fairly quickly. If you happen to have a tamed dinosaur who's attack has a large Area of Effect, like the Stegosaurus or Ankylosaurus, you can easily take out entire swarms of Meganeuras.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
It is a better idea to use shorter ranged melee weapons that have a far reach (spears, pikes); they can be hard to hit with ranged weapons like bows.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
A Meganeura bite will poison you and reduce your Stamina, making it harder to escape if you get swarmed. Their tendency to swarm and aggro additional Meganeuras also makes it likely that you'll be fighting much more than you had wanted.
A swarm of Meganeuras can easily cripple and take down weaker flyers like a Pteranodon thanks to their stamina draining attacks and decent damage. Be wary if you land one near a swarm of them.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
The biggest weakness of the Meganeura is its low Health. It usually only takes a few hits to kill even a high level one and any decently sized tame with good AOE can destroy a swarm with little hindrance.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- Cementing Paste Collection Source: Meganeura like other arthropods can yield Chitin when killed. The Meganeura is also one of the best candidates for efficiently farming large amounts of Cementing Paste when a Beelzebufo is used, as they are fairly common and are attracted to corpses and recently killed prey, allowing them to be concentrated and harvested in one place.
- Swarming Tactics: Though almost always impractical, they can be quite the nuisance if attracted to a certain area by a corpse, becoming aggressive.
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Meganeura, see the relevant Wikipedia article.
- Dossier revealed on 06/10/2015 
- It is one of four creatures currently able to be harvested by Beelzebufo for Cementing Paste, the others being the Jug Bug, Titanomyrma, and Glowbug.
- While in numbers, they will become much more aggressive.
- Most griffinflies were not significantly larger than modern dragonflies, though the largest, including Meganeura, could reach wingspans of up to 70 cm (28 in). It is controversial among the scientific community as to exactly how these insects got to such sizes, even though the largest griffinflies were still small compared to other giant arthropods of the Carboniferous and Permian. Theories that attempt to explain such gigantism range from lack of predators, to increased atmospheric oxygen and/or pressure providing more growth, to protection against said over pressurization and/or oxygenation. All said theories could potentially have been at play.
- Likely based on the Giant Griffinfly, Meganeura Monyi.
- Meganeura were once thought to be an early ancestor of all dragonflies, and its order named Protoodonatoptera. However, both have been reclassified under the Odonatoptera superorder and split into seperate orders, with dragonflies and damselflies in the Odonata order and griffinflies in the Meganisoptera order. Griffinflies are now considered ancient close cousins to the modern dragonfly group but not their direct ancestors.
- Like the other insects in Ark Meganeura has adapted to eating dead things, most of the other insects eat Spoiled Meat while Meganeura will fancy a whole corpse/dead body. However, it should noted that it is more likely that Meganeura hunted most of the time, as stated in Helena's dossier.
- Though it is rarely seen, the Meganeura can indeed land and walk on the ground, though usually this is brief.
- Despite how swift dragonflies are and most griffinflies probably were, the Ark Meganeura is a tad slow and can be outrun by most creatures and survivors.
Changelog[edit | edit source]
|189.0||Meganeura is added to the game.|
|189.1||Fixed Meganeura Dossier icon.|
|218.5||Dead Meganeura won't animate if one enters the area after it was killed anymore.|
|235.9||Fixed issue with Meganeura flickering in and out.|
|245.3||The Beelzebufo's 5x damage towards bugs now applies to the Meganeura as intended.|
|275.0 Aberration Expansion Release||Aberrant Meganeura added.|
|289.100||Mesh Memory Optimizations for Meganeura.|