|This article is about a creature, item, or feature exclusive to the DLC: Extinction|
|This article is about a creature, item, or feature exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Combat
- 3 Taming
- 4 Utility
- 5 Spotlight
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
Discovering Bubo chinookus was a pleasant surprise. Owls are remarkable creatures, but they're not the type that could survive an extinction level event on their own. Since it never strays from the patch of frozen tundra we encountered, I believe the Obelisk was the key to its survival.
With its swift flying and frigid attacks, Bubo makes an excellent single-rider support mount or scout. The latter is helped by its tremendous vision, which it can share with its rider via its antenna. Not only does this make enemies easier to see, but Bubo can also spot Element veins with ease, even when they're underground.
Behavior[edit | edit source]
The majestic and giant Snow Owl flies around the Snow Dome, occasionally landing to kill an animal or rest. It's an aggressive creature towards nearly everything in sight, and can easily spot any animal in hiding due to its heat vision. Perfectly accustomed to its habitat, it is for sure one of the most powerful predators in the Snow Dome aside from the massive Dire Wolf packs roaming the snowy forests.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
The Snow Owl is a massive owl that prefers to live in very chilly regions. It looks and handles similarly to an Argentavis, though it usually has whiter colors for camouflage, has a thicker body, and a larger tail. Its face is wrapped tightly by tendrils of corrupted element, and its eyes look almost robotic in nature. Its wings are incredibly long, and the ends are usually tipped with a darker color than the body, typically being gray or black, with the legs and head usually matching that color. Crowning the top of its head are four large antennae that give it heat vision capabilities, which through these antennae it can share with its rider.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Snow Owl's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Snow Owl. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Snow Owl will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command
"cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>".
"cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6" would color the Snow Owl's "body main" magenta.
Region 1 is not used
Region 3 is not used
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpidity increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
|Attack Type||Projectile Values||Torpor Values|
|Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Combat[edit | edit source]
General[edit | edit source]
They have very high speeds and utilize a dive bomb attack similar to the Griffin. It can also curl up and freeze itself in place it will heal itself and others around it. However it will not use any special abilities in the wild.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Using a Crossbow or Rifle can be used to kill the snow owl without taking much damage. The owl, much like the Argentavis, will attack anything near it relentlessly until it dies, so melee weapons and mounts can also be used.
It should be noted that the Snow Owl takes reduced damage from headshots, so aim for the body.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Use a ranged weapon - a Crossbow, rifle, or compound bow will work perfectly here.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
Snow Owls are very fast and commonly come in a group of 2 or 3. They take less damage from headshots with ranged weapons as well. If fighting a player with a Snow Owl, they can dive, freeze and heal all at once. Snow Owls have a higher base damage than a Argentavis, and they are also faster.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
It has wide turning radius, much like Griffin, so circling around it can kill or knock it out easier.
Taming[edit | edit source]
Taming Food[edit | edit source]
|Raw Prime Meat||8||0||0||0||0:04:27|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||12||0||0||0||0:06:40|
|Cooked Prime Meat||16||0||0||0||0:08:53|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||19||0||0||0||0:05:17|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||38||0||0||0||0:10:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||57||0||0||0||0:15:50|
|Cooked Fish Meat||114||0||0||0||0:15:50|
|× 60; × 25; × 7; × 4; × 3; × 2:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:33:20|
|Raw Prime Meat||15||0||0||0||0:08:20|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||22||0||0||0||0:12:13|
|Cooked Prime Meat||29||0||0||0||0:16:06|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||36||0||0||0||0:10:00|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||72||0||0||0||0:20:33|
|Raw Fish Meat||108||0||0||0||0:30:00|
|Cooked Fish Meat||215||0||0||0||0:29:52|
|× 165; × 68; × 19; × 11; × 8; × 4:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 00:54:58|
|Raw Prime Meat||22||0||0||0||0:12:14|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||32||0||0||0||0:17:46|
|Cooked Prime Meat||43||0||0||0||0:23:52|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||54||0||0||0||0:15:00|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||107||0||0||0||0:30:33|
|Raw Fish Meat||160||0||0||0||0:44:27|
|Cooked Fish Meat||320||0||0||0||0:44:27|
|× 273; × 112; × 31; × 18; × 13; × 7:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:09:49|
|Raw Prime Meat||29||0||0||0||0:16:07|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||42||0||0||0||0:23:19|
|Cooked Prime Meat||57||0||0||0||0:31:38|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||71||0||0||0||0:19:44|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||142||0||0||0||0:40:32|
|Raw Fish Meat||213||0||0||0||0:59:10|
|Cooked Fish Meat||425||0||0||0||0:59:02|
|× 381; × 156; × 43; × 25; × 18; × 9:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:20:35|
|Raw Prime Meat||36||0||0||0||0:20:00|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||53||0||0||0||0:29:25|
|Cooked Prime Meat||71||0||0||0||0:39:25|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||89||0||0||0||0:24:44|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||177||0||0||0||0:50:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||265||0||0||0||1:13:37|
|Cooked Fish Meat||530||0||0||0||1:13:37|
|× 489; × 200; × 55; × 32; × 23; × 12:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:29:03|
|Raw Prime Meat||43||0||0||0||0:23:54|
|Cooked Lamb Chop||63||0||0||0||0:34:58|
|Cooked Prime Meat||85||0||0||0||0:47:11|
|Raw Prime Fish Meat||106||0||0||0||0:29:27|
|Cooked Prime Fish Meat||212||0||0||0||1:00:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||318||0||0||0||1:28:20|
|Cooked Fish Meat||635||0||0||0||1:28:12|
|× 597; × 244; × 67; × 38; × 27; × 14:|
|Torpidity-depletion: , Time until all torpidity is depleted: 01:36:01|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Preferred Food[edit | edit source]
KO Strategy[edit | edit source]
The Snow Owl can be knocked out through the standard Knockout method using Tranq Arrows. However, the Snow Owl may die if arrows are used as the owl has fairly low base health, especially if it has been in a fight. Using a Longneck Rifle with Tranq Darts is advised.
Similar to Argentavis, you can trap it in a taming pen to prevent it from flying away.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- Much like other flyers, this creature is excellent for getting around the map, due to the Snow Owl's fairly high speed and decent stamina. The speed is enhanced, as it can glide much like a Griffin. If you are used to the flying mechanics of a Griffin you will be right at home with the Snow Owl. It is even more useful in dangerous areas such as Sulfur Fields or Ragnarok's Murdersnow, due to the ability to heal the rider while frozen, making the hypo/hyperthermia less of a problem. Also, imprinted Snow Owls have increased movement speed which gives them an even better edge over their flying competitors.
- While not as capable of carrying items as the Argentavis, the Snow Owl can carry more than a Pteranodon, and faster than an Argentavis and even a Pteranodon while gliding. Its enhanced stamina allows it to travel long distances. (Level Stamina and Weight. Health is optional depending on PvP circumstances.)
- Damage Dealer/Hit and Run
- The Snow Owl has similar combat abilities to the Argentavis, able to be used both as a damage dealer and a Hit and Run while gliding. If the Snow Owl is injured, it can fly away to heal by freezing itself. (Level Health, Damage, and Stamina.)
- Heat Seeker
- The Snow Owl has the ability to sense any target with its infrared vision, using default button c (Predator Sense). This is useful for PvP if you're chasing enemy survivors through thick foliage and need to retain vision.
- Dive Stun Attack
- Like the Griffin, the Snow Owl can dive straight down and swipe targets. Unlike the Griffin though, when diving straight to the ground, all enemies around the point of impact will not be killed, yet stunned for 5 seconds. The Snow Owl dives completely silently.
- Using Alt Fire (Default rmb) the Snow Owl is capable of freezing nearby creatures by holding Alt Fire. This process also heals nearby creatures, which means enemies as well. This lasts 3 seconds after the owl thaws out. When used in mid-air, the Snow Owl will perform an Ice Crash, dropping like a rock and freezing any creature where the owl lands for ~5 seconds. This will consume stamina per creature frozen, potentially exhausting your Snow Owl. Be mindful of when you use this ability.
- The Snow Owl can be a tamer's best friend since it has so many qualities to help with taming. First off, it is the only creature that can heal wild creatures. This is very useful for taming high torpor/low health tames (Gallimimus, Dire Bear) since you can tranquilize them and heal them up if they look like they're about to die, then proceed to knock them out. Secondly, their ice crash ability (freezing in the air) can be useful to even knock Quetzals out of the sky if you land on their backs. This can allow you to conventionally trap it after hit hits the ground. (Do note that you have to initiate flight after hitting the back of the Quetzal or you will take heavy fall damage, potentially killing your Snow Owl in one fall if you're not careful.) They can also freeze Gasbags and deflate them, allowing for more damage to be dealt in knocking them out. Lastly, by holding down the ability to freeze you can lock a creature in place to be trapped. You can still place structures while riding on the back of a frozen Snow Owl, allowing you to trap creatures while they're frozen.
- The Snow Owl can freeze itself and other Creatures to regenerate health and get a heavy damage resistance, however they cannot do anything while frozen. This costs about 250 stamina per second and heals units for about 40 health per second and can not be improved. This is better for healing smaller creatures.
- The Snow Owl spews out ('defecates') Snow Owl Pellet which provide 50,000 units of Nitrogen, slightly lower than Fertilizer.
- Loot producer
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Spotlight[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Snow Owl, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- Its scientific name,Bubo chinookus , possibly means "Owl with the Foehn wind" in Latin. The 'Chinook' is Foehn winds which is a type of dry, warm wind that occurs in the downwind side of a mountain range.
- Wild Snow Owls can't harm wild herbivores, but will still proceed to attack them relentlessly. This is a trait shared by the Griffin which some of its abilities is shared from.
- Bolas could be used at the release of Extinction, but this was unintended and fixed in v286.103.
- Prior to v287.100, attacking corpses will cause it to receive Rapid Regeneration much like Argentavis.
- When performing the glide mechanic, if the Snow Owl lifts up right before it's supposed to hit the floor, the Snow Owl will land but still walk at the speed it was flying. If the Snow Owl takes off while walking, its speed will double. This can be used over and over, causing the Snow Owl to be the best flyer to traverse the map and escape threats, and is a trait shared with Griffin.
- By doing the freeze ability whilst on the ground is a viable method for producing Snow Owl Pellets. Be mindful of its Food however, as constant consumption of Stamina will cause the food to drop.
- The Icon that appears for Feces when it defecates is colored pink, similar to how Gasoline (Gas-Crafted) is colored pink in a Chemistry Bench.
- When raising dinos, you can use the healing ability of the Snow Owl to speed up the process of growing (Needs confirmation)
Gallery[edit | edit source]
The Snow Owl as seen in a teaser image for Extinction.
The Snow Owl as seen in the launch trailer for Extinction.