admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Spider-Small/SpiderS_Character_BP.SpiderS_Character_BP'" 500 0 0 35
Variant Aberrant Araneo
admincheat summon SpiderS_Character_BP_Aberrant_C
admincheat SpawnDino "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Spider-Small/SpiderS_Character_BP_Aberrant.SpiderS_Character_BP_Aberrant'" 500 0 0 35
- 1 Basic Info
- 2 Taming
- 3 Locations
- 4 Combat
- 5 Utility
- 6 Notes/Trivia
- 7 Gallery
- 8 References
Basic Info[edit | edit source]
Dossier[edit | edit source]
I don't know where to start with Araneomorphus amalgotantibus. It has so many of the nightmare inducing traits of spiders from among many family and genus.
It fires webbing like a bola spider, it spits venom like a lynx spider. It has a poisonous bite like a myriad of spiders, and can see in the dark by sensing vibrations. And to top it off, Araneomorphus is larger than an adult human! If that wasn't enough, I'm convinced that some of the caves on the island have actually been dug by Araneomorphus, but this worries me. Either Araneomorphus is a colony-spider (like ants), or there is a much larger Araneomorphus somewhere on the island.
As long as it is kept far from arachnophobics, domesticated Araneomorphus makes an excellent guardian creature for anyone wanting to avoid killing. Their strange web-spraying behavior is also quite helpful while hunting fast, fleeing prey. They are too small to be used as mounts, however...
Behavior[edit | edit source]
Due to their aggressive temperament, the Araneomorphus will attack the survivor on sight. Like most spiders, it produces webs to snare its food and uses venom to subdue them; however, rather than building elaborate webs, the Araneo opts to shoot webs and inject venom into its prey. They are most commonly found in large swarms deep underground.
Appearance[edit | edit source]
Found deep underground in dark caverns, or around the volcano of Ragnarok and volcanic island of The Center, the Araneomorphus is a nightmarish chimera of various spider species and a mix of fantasy, with enlarged, arm-like pedipalps, 7 eyes, 4 "teeth", a strange box-shaped mouth, hairy bristiles spaced all over the body and its 8 legs, stinger-like spinnerets, and strange sac-like structures covering the entirety of the top of the abdomen.
Color Scheme and Regions[edit | edit source]
This section displays the Araneo's natural colors and regions. For demonstration, the regions below are colored red over an albino Araneo. The colored squares shown underneath each region's description are the colors that the Araneo will randomly spawn with to provide an overall range of its natural color scheme. Hover your cursor over a color to display its name and ID.
Server admins can use this region information in the Console Command
cheat SetTargetDinoColor <ColorRegion> <ColorID>.
cheat SetTargetDinoColor 0 6 would color the Araneo's "thorax and head" magenta.
Thorax and Head
Region 1 is not used
Upper Abdomen and Markings
Drops[edit | edit source]
Base Stats and Growth[edit | edit source]
Note that creatures will have different stats in Survival of the Fittest
|Attribute||Amount at Level 1||Increase per point||Taming Bonus|
|Melee Damage||10 / 52||+0.5 / +0.25||+1.7%||7%||17.6%|
1Percentages are based on the value of the stat the moment the creature was tamed (after taming effectiveness)
2The absolute Base Damage is shown here instead of the percentage.
3Wild creatures do not level up movement speed
4Torpidity increases every level on wild creatures, but can not be increased once they are tamed.
|Movement Type||Base Speed||Sprinting|
- These are the base speeds of the creature at 100% Movement Speed
- For a comparison of the speeds of all creatures, see Base Creature Speeds
|Main Attack||Tranquilized||The target's Torpor will increase by 10 points over 10 seconds. This effect stacks.|
|Alt Attack||Webbed||Used intermittently. The Araneo shoots a projectile that reduces movement speed by 50% for 10 seconds.|
|Base||Minimum||Activation||Using the (PC), (PS4), (Xbox One), the Araneo bites the target. The target's Torpor will increase by 10 points over 10 seconds. This effects stacks with each hit from a wild Araneo, however attacks from tamed Araneos stack up to two times for a maximum of 20 seconds torpor debuff.|
|Attack Type||Projectile Values||Torpor Values|
|Impulse||Radius||Base||Mult||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount||Duration||Damage Mult||Amount|
Wild Stats Level-up
Type in values of a wild creature to see on which stats it's emphasized. Green values on a high-level creature are very good for breeding. If you have already tamed your creature you can try to recover the breeding-stats with an external tool.
The stat-calculator does not work in the mobile-view, see here for alternatives: Apps
Note that after the creature is tamed it gets bonuses on some stats depending on the taming effectiveness. This makes it hard to retrieve the levels on a tamed creature, so this tool is only for wild ones, but gives a first impression, how well the stats are distributed.
Taming[edit | edit source]
Araneomorphus is tamed non-violently, rather than through the use of tranquilizers. Since it is a naturally aggressive creature, you must first apply Bug Repellent in order to keep it from attacking on sight. The Araneo will not be tameable if it is trying to attack another creature or is feeding on a corpse, so you must either remove any such distractions from the area or lure it to a more secluded area.
Once you have the Bug Repellent applied and distractions dealt with, place the food you wish to feed it in the right-most slot of your hotbar. Then, carefully approach the Araneo until a button prompt to feed it appears - it will eat the piece of food you give it and a taming bar will appear. It is recommended that you do so in the prone position to reduce the chance of it noticing you and becoming aggressive. You must then wait until it becomes hungry enough to be fed again, and repeat the process. If you accidentally get too close and touch the Araneo, it will become aggressive and attack. In order to continue taming it, you must get far enough away for it to lose interest in you.
Once tamed, the Araneo can itself become a useful tool for taming because of its web attack. Survivors can use this attack to slow down a target animal, rendering it far less dangerous and more manageable.
|Raw Fish Meat||344||00:10||0:57:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||634||00:10||1:45:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||934||00:10||2:35:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||1234||00:10||3:25:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||1534||00:10||4:15:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||197||00:10||0:32:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||66||00:10||0:11:01|
|Raw Fish Meat||7||00:11||0:01:11|
|Raw Fish Meat||1||00:00||0:00:11|
|Raw Fish Meat||362||00:10||1:00:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||121||00:10||0:20:11|
|Raw Fish Meat||13||00:10||0:02:11|
|Raw Fish Meat||1||00:00||0:00:11|
|Raw Fish Meat||620||00:10||1:43:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||207||00:10||0:34:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||21||00:10||0:03:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||2||00:21||0:00:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||1048||00:10||2:54:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||350||00:10||0:58:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||35||00:10||0:05:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||3||00:15||0:00:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||1905||00:10||5:17:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||635||00:10||1:45:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||64||00:10||0:10:41|
|Raw Fish Meat||5||00:12||0:00:51|
|Raw Fish Meat||2762||00:10||7:40:21|
|Raw Fish Meat||921||00:10||2:33:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||93||00:10||0:15:31|
|Raw Fish Meat||7||00:11||0:01:11|
Note that the values are for optimal cases, always bring extra supplies!
For a level-dependent count of resources needed, try an external taming calculator.
Locations[edit | edit source]
Combat[edit | edit source]
This section describes how to fight against the Araneomorphus.
General[edit | edit source]
The Araneo is found in caves and has tranquillizing venom, but to a sufficiently equipped player, this is generally not an issue. They have relatively low health and rely on swarming their opponent to overwhelm them with web and venom attacks.
Strategy[edit | edit source]
Be careful to avoid their ranged attacks. The web attack impedes your mobility and can leave you vulnerable to ambush by other cave predators. Stay nimble and fight back using a ranged weapon, such as a Crossbow. Pikes and Swords can also work in a pinch, but leave you more vulnerable.
Weaponry[edit | edit source]
Most weapons are fairly effective against the Araneo, with ranged weapons being the most effective. However, most ranged weapons will be incapable of putting down large rushes sufficiently quickly, making a backup melee weapon a necessity. Pikes and Shotguns are effective, as the Pike can keep them out of attack range reliably while dealing substantial damage; the Shotgun, on the other hand, can quickly slaughter the Araneo in tight spaces.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
The largest danger the Araneo presents is the size of its horde. A single Araneo and its ranged attacks can be a challenge, deadly even, but a swarm can quickly overwhelm even the strongest survivors if they aren't paying attention and get cornered. Watch your Torpor carefully and have an ally nearby if possible to cover you if you fall.
Weakness[edit | edit source]
Cave walls frequently create close quarters, so Shotguns are highly effective. Tamed creatures can be a great help for taking on the Araneo - but which ones can be used depends on the size of the cave entrance. In larger caves, creatures like the Raptor, Sabertooth, Direwolf, and even Pteranodon can be used. In other caves, only shoulder-mounted animals like the Dimorphodon can be used.
Utility[edit | edit source]
Roles[edit | edit source]
- Cave mount: When mounted on an Araneo you don't aggro any creatures. That makes this tame ideal for caving. Even when attacking most creatures won't aggro on you. This might be a bug.
- Base Defense/ Guard Dog: Though the Araneo has abysmal speed and rather low health and damage when compared to the majority of creatures, it makes up for this by having a venemous bite which can induce Torpor as well as having a web attack that slows enemies down to just 10% of their original speed. Both of these attacks can be preformed very quickly and at any angle, as the Araneo can literally turn on a dime because it has no turning radius, like that of the Pulmonoscorpius. These traits make them especially deadly when in tight spaces and in large groups. Once an enemy is webbed, the Araneos can close in to tranquilize or kill their prey with ease.
- Cave/ Base Turret: The Araneo can also be used as slowing turret that helps defend against rocket rushing; this is especially useful when used in caves in which the Plant Species X units aren't an option since they require sunlight. This can essential be accomplished by overburdening the Araneo and setting it on aggressive as this will cause it to perform its web attack that slows enemies. TIP: try setting them behind tight corners so they can't get sniped out.
Collectibles[edit | edit source]
Notes/Trivia[edit | edit source]
For information pertaining specifically to the real-world Araneo, see the relevant Wikipedia article
- The Web attack can actually have it's damage increased if Melee Damage is increased.
- The Dossier for Araneomorphus mentions a "much larger Araneomorphus somewhere on the island"; this actually refers to the Broodmother Lysrix, one of the bosses in the game. It is quite possible that all Araneomorphus are the children of the Broodmother Lysrix herself.
- Helena in her dossier also mentions that she is convinced that some of the caves of The Island were dug out by Araneo. How the spiders managed to "dig" out these caves, if it is true, is a mystery.
- Usually only found in caves, they can sometimes appear in groups on the surface due to a glitch. On maps like Ragnarok or The Center however, they also spawn on the surface in certain biomes.
- Despite the Dossier saying that they are too small to be used as mounts, Araneos were made rideable in Patch 221.0.
- Though the Dossier states they have a "poisonous bite" that is technically incorrect as it would be venomous, not poisonous. Venom is injected, while poison is ingested. However, some scientists consider this difference trivial, as some poisons in their composition are far more similar to certain venoms than other poisons and that venom and poison can be delivered by various different species and from wildly different organs and tissues in wildy different ways, sometimes blurring the lines between injection and ingestion. For example, some Lynx spiders and Spitting Cobras can 'spit' their venom at an agressor which is not quite injected nor consumed when hit at sensitive organs and tissue like the eyes or skin. Regardless, it is important to note that both poison and venom are biological toxins that can dangerously disrupt a victim's body with a cocktail containing proteins, enzymes, and other molecules.
- Araneae is the scientific name for spiders, the Latin root morphous means "to have the shape of something," amalgam refers to a mixture or combination, and tantibus is literally the Latin word for "nightmare." So Araneomorphus amalgotantibus roughly means "spider-shaped nightmare combination" in Latin, referring to the fact that it possesses features from numerous different families and genera of real-life spiders and that the Dossier describes it as being "nightmare inducing."
- There is a common glitch while walking up inclined hills or ramps, as Araneomorphus will usually lean forward and perform a sort of "hand-stand," while their faces clip through the ground. Additionally, they appear to lack a swimming animation, as their walking animation is used while swimming.
- Araneo do not produce feces.
- Real world Spiders hunt for their food or wait to catch their food, however Ark's Araneo have adapted to not only hunt and catch their food but adapted to eating spoiled rotting meat and flesh.
- To add to differences between the Araneo and real world spiders its important to note the difference of the Araneo and its un-spider like mouth and mouth-parts. It appears as though the Araneo's chelicerae are incredibly reduced, while the maxillary plates have grown 2 fang-like teeth to mirror the top, creating a jaw of sorts. The mouth itself is not a small hole concealed under the chelicerae like in real spider species, but rather is gaping and monstrously huge. The whole arrangment of the mouth parts and the mouth is thus incredibly different to any living spider today. Along with that, the Araneo has 7 eyes, something that can only occur as a birth defect or genetic mutation in real spiders, and has weird red and grey sacs covering the back that serve an unknown purpose. All of these features are a testament to the theory that none of the creatures on the Ark are actually descendants or related evolutionarily to any organism on earth but rather are genetic fabrications created by the Overseer.
- Even though the Araneo is a supposed mix of many spider species, it cannot climb walls or ceilings like most other spiders can. This is likely due to the Araneo's large size and lack of adaptations to climb. Despite being larger, the Megalania can climb with ease.
- Despite what the dossier says about its venom-spitting trait that it shares with the Lynx Spider, the Araneo cannot spit its venom. The Broodmother Lysrix, whom is most likely related to the Araneo in some way, is able to spit venom however.
- Araneos lay unfertilized eggs and can't reproduce yet they still somehow manage to survive, likely because the Ark itself spawns them or they are simply the worker spawn of the Broodmother Lysrix and don't play a reproductive role in the species, similar to ant or honey bee workers.