Torpidity is the measure of weariness for a Human or a Creature. If your Torpidity reaches 50, you will fall unconscious. You cannot do anything while unconscious, and other players can easily move you around, force-feed you more narcotics, take your items from you, or simply kill you.
Since most sources of torpidity a Human will experience is from hostile attacks and bites, it's advised to wear good Armor to combat the Torpidity infliction. Torpidity-increasing attacks are affected by the amount of damage they deal (For example, shooting things in the head will amplify both the damage dealt AND the torpidity given by 250% against most creatures in Ark). That's why wearing Flak Armor heavily increases your chances against Titanoboas compared to using Hide Armor. This also goes for the armor on tamed creatures Saddles.
Increasing Torpidity on Humans and Creatures[edit | edit source]
Torpidity can be increased by:
Consumables[edit | edit source]
- Narcoberries (7.5 points over 3 seconds)
- Narcotic (40 over 8 seconds)
- Bio Toxin (80 over 16 seconds)
- Ascerbic Mushroom (25 points over 2 seconds)
Weapons[edit | edit source]
- Human Fists
- Wooden Club
- Electric Prod
- Stones shot from a Slingshot
- Tranquilizer Arrow
- Tranquilizer Dart
- Shocking Tranquilizer Dart
- Tranq Spear Bolt
- Poison Grenade (will only affect humans)
- Toxicant Arrow
Traps[edit | edit source]
Status Effects[edit | edit source]
Attacks by Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Reaper Queen
- Lightning Wyvern
- Thorny Dragon
- Broodmother Lysrix
Torpidity will also increase slowly when starving or dehydrated, and will increase with every melee attack performed without Stamina.
Feeding a larger number of Narcotics extends the amount of time torpidity is increasing. A popular way of taming Gallimimus is by over feeding it Narcotic, since it losing its torpidity so fast, it spends the majority of the tame with the torpidity going up, not down like a normal tame would. While torpidity is being applied, the creatures natural torpidity recovery is suspended.
Fortitude[edit | edit source]
The Torpidity stat cannot be directly increased, but Fortitude raises your resistance to torpidity-increasing effects and each point spent on it will increase your knock-out threshold by 1.
Torpidity Decay[edit | edit source]
All creatures and players have a natural Torpidity Decay Rate which determines how fast they will fight off the Torpidity and wake up. Some are extreme like Giganotosaurus which drops at a prodigious rate, others seem to just love to sleep. It is important to know that Torpidity Decay is always put on hold while Torpidity is increasing, so as long as new Torpidity is applied (i.E. via Narcotic or creature attacks) a creature or player cannot recover from unconsciousness.
For example, a Crossbow does 200% of its damage rating right away as Torpidity and then adds another 250% Torpidity over the next 4 seconds. During those 4 seconds, the target's Torpidity Decay is put on hold, so again the most resource efficient way would be to shoot the Crossbow once every 4 seconds. However this can not only be difficult to apply when fighting, in addition the Torpidity effects of Tranquilizer Arrow and Tranquilizer Dart stack, so shooting in rapid succession is usually a much easier way to put a creature unconscious.
Aside from that type of ammunition however Torpidity effects usually do not stack. Creatures like the Scorpions for example have a non-stackable Torpidity debuff, so hitting more often won't help knock out the dino, it will only damage it. A Slingshot or Pachy on the other hand will apply Torpidity only immediately on hit without any debuff following the effect, causing the Torpidity Decay to start immediately after applying it. Getting the timing right is critical when using other methods but arrows/darts to put creatures unconscious. If you wait too long between attacks, the Torpidity on the creature might already have been decayed completely, but the damage done is still there, making further taming attempts potentially more difficult or less rewarding.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Torpidity is the only stat that can't be leveled up once a dino has been tamed. Increasing Fortitude will increase a player's resistance to Torpidity-increasing effects, but not directly increase the Torpidity stat.
- If a Creature was released from a Cryopod by the player who is under the effect of Cryo Cooldown, they will immediately be knocked out with full Torpidity (and a red text near their name outside to signify it) and will take longer to wake up when compared to normal Torpidity decay ( Stimberries or Stimulant do reduce the timer).
- Consuming Stimberries or Stimulant will reduce your torpidity actively.
- By wearing a Gas Mask, it is possible to avoid Torpidity infliction by the Tripwire Narcotic Trap and Poison Grenade.
- If a player is knocked unconscious through any torpidity building method (e.g. Narcotics, Narcoberries etc.) they will not take fall damage as long as they remain unconscious.
- When a player reaches 50 Torpidity they will become unconscious until the Torpidity is fully depleted.
- Torpidity was named Torpor in the game before v275.0.