Upper South Cave
73.0° Lat, 61.0° Lon
The Upper South Cave is a cave to the north of the swamp on The Island. The cave contains the Artifact of the Pack, needed to summon the Megapithecus. This large cave was considered one of the hardest caves prior to the Snow Cave and Swamp Cave, added in PC Update v252.0
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Cold (-5c)
- Swarms of enemies underwater
- Risk of drowning in underwater tunnels
- Mega Rabies from Megalania or Onyc
- Arthropluera in the upper parts can one-shot most armor.
Recommended Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Flak Armor, SCUBA, or Tek Armor.
- Cooked Meats
- Medical Brews
- Lazarus Chowder to compensate for low oxygen
- Fria Curry or an Otter are needed for some armor combinations
- Grappling Hook are needed for reaching the Artifact quickly, lets you mostly skip contact with water, or alternatively a Zip-Line Anchor when riding a Ravager
- Shotgun with Shotgun ammo.
- GPS for if you get lost you can look at it and find where the artifact is or find where the entrance of the cave is to get out.
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A very large part of the cave is underwater. You will likely need 3-5 points in oxygen or Lazarus chowder to get through the underwater parts. Note that the water is cold.
- If you are planning to use a SCUBA Tank to cross the water sections, it is advised to bring along more than one. If you get dismounted the Piranha and Sarco will cause it to break very quickly.
- Bring a Baryonyx. They are good for this cave as they perform well under water because they do not require oxygen, can recover stamina underwater and are quite fast. Their speed underwater allows you to even travel through the water tunnels without any points in oxygen and get out the other side, if you are quick.
- Follow the green glowing moss on the floor in the tunnel that will lead you to the artifact.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Dung Beetle
- Sabertooth Salmon
Compatible Tamed Creatures[edit | edit source]
Now that cryopods are very easy to obtain (available on every map, crafted in supply drops) it's possible to bring in every creature in any cave, as long as the area is big enough to deploy said creature.
This table is incomplete.
You can help us by adding the tamed creatures you know can enter the cave. If the creature can't enter, please exclude it.
- Excellent: Full-Cave Access (Entrance-to-Artifact)
- Limited: Can Access Portions of the Cave Safely
- Not Recommended: Can Get Stuck/Unable to Leave Cave
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This cave is not on Mobile
- Bring Cryopod to be certain your mount can exit.
- The underwater part is teeming with Piranhas and Sarcos. If mounted bring some good leather armor and fiber to repair midway, or multiple sets of flak.
- Once you get to the bottom of the cave (the above-water portion, anyway), you will reach a point where there is a water hole on the left side of the path and what looks like an underground river on the right side. Many of these water sections either loop back and connect with each other or reach dead ends. The easiest path to take in order to reach the artifact is to face the river, then jump in and follow it to the left. This is where you'll be doing underwater sections. At the second above-water section, you will see a bunch of purple crystals right as the tunnel makes a 90-degree turn to the left. Look carefully at this turn and you'll notice an easy-to-miss narrow side tunnel branch off inside the 90-degree turn of the main tunnel. That path will lead you to the artifact. The other main path after a lengthy and very arduous journey simply connects back to the large room with the water pool across from the river, so continuing along it is not recommended. Once you've reached and collected the artifact by taking the side tunnel, you can jump from the ledge there into the water below and swim to the left for a quick way out. Be fast to get out of the water here, as this large pool can contain a huge number of piranhas along with a few Sarcos. You can then simply follow the path back up and out of the cave.
- you can grapple to the artifact tunnel hidden behind roots when you swim near the ruins at the bottom of the cave.
- There's a glitch to kill piranhas by tricking them to go above water
Gallery[edit | edit source]