Upper South Cave
|This page is outdated. Please help if you can.|
The talk page may contain more information.
Reason: "PC Update v252.0 introduced an entirely new cave design.
Most of the information on this page is no longer valid including, but not limited to walk-throughs, tips, notes, and recommendations, compatible tamed creatures, possible dangers, loot, and coordinates."
73.0° Lat, 61.0° Lon
The Upper South Cave is a cave to the north of the swamp on The Island. The cave contains the Artifact of the Pack, needed to summon the Megapithecus. This large cave was considered one of the hardest caves prior to the Snow Cave and Swamp Cave, added in PC Update v252.0.
Dangers[edit | edit source]
- Extreme Cold
- Swarms of enemies underwater
- Risk of drowning in underwater tunnels
- Mega Rabies from Megalania or Onyc
Recommended Equipment[edit | edit source]
- Flak Armor, SCUBA, Fur Armor or Tek Armor.
- Cooked Meats
- Campfires to use with Raw Meat
- Medical Brews
- Lazarus Chowder to compensate for low oxygen
- Fria Curry for better handling the cold
- Grappling Hook are needed for reaching the Artifact if you do not want to touch any water or contact with Piranha, or alternatively a Zip-Line Anchor when riding a Ravager
Tips[edit | edit source]
- A very large part of the cave is underwater. You will likely need 3-5 points in oxygen or Lazarus chowder to get through the underwater parts. Note that the water will cause the mentioned Extreme Cold. Pay attention.
- If you are planning to use a SCUBA Tank to cross the water sections, it is advised to bring along more than one. The Piranhas and Sarcos will cause it to quickly break.
- Bring a Baryonyx. They are good for this cave as they perform well under water because they do not require oxygen, can recover stamina underwater and are quite fast. Their speed underwater allows you to even travel through the water tunnels without any points in oxygen and get out the other side, if you are quick.
- Follow the green glowing moss on the floor in the tunnel that will lead you to the artifact.
Creatures[edit | edit source]
- Dung Beetle
- Sabertooth Salmon
Compatible Tamed Creatures[edit | edit source]
This table is incomplete.
You can help us by adding the tamed creatures you know can enter the cave. If the creature can't enter, please exclude it.
- Excellent: Full-Cave Access (Entrance-to-Artifact)
- Limited: Can Access Portions of the Cave Safely
- Not Recommended: Can Get Stuck/Unable to Leave Cave
- It is possible to ride a Beelzebufo into the cave and out although there is an invisible gate in between two narrow stones that prevent anything bigger than human gets in and out. To get in: try to jump though the invisible gate and eventually you and your Beelzebufo will go though the gate from above. To get out: you cannot get out the same method that used to get in due to the nature elevation change of the cave. However, if you go down and straight from the invisible gate (where left turn lead to deeper cave), you will get to the bottom of the cliff (usually packed with different creatures). There is one side of the cliff which is in a "U" shape, you can start jumping onto one side of the U and then to another side, and eventually you will get to the top where the path out is. The jumping on the cliff part may takes a few times to find the right spot to stand still with your Beelzebufo. This method has only been tested on Beelzebufo yet due to its size and ability to jump.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- This cave is not on Mobile
- Some dinosaurs may get trapped in the cave because the only exit is past a narrow path. Raptors seem able to exit, though larger creatures may have problems.
- It is the biggest cave in the game. The extreme cold will limit your ability to recover from fights, so it is recommended to bring plenty of food to avoid starvation, and medical brew to replenish lost health quickly.
- The underwater part is teeming with Piranhas and Sarcos. The sheer number of enemies will likely cause devastating damage to armor, so adventurers are advised to bring additional armor (If you have a newly repaired set of flak armor it will most likely be completely unnecessary to bring more if you are choosing to simply swim past the enemies).
- Once you get to the bottom of the cave (the above-water portion, anyway), you will reach a point where there is a water hole on the left side of the path and what looks like an underground river on the right side. Many of these water sections either loop back and connect with each other or reach dead ends. The easiest path to take in order to reach the artifact is to face the river, then jump in and follow it to the left. This is where you'll be doing underwater sections. At the second above-water section, you will see a bunch of purple crystals right as the tunnel makes a 90-degree turn to the left. Look carefully at this turn and you'll notice an easy-to-miss narrow side tunnel branch off inside the 90-degree turn of the main tunnel. That path will lead you to the artifact. The other main path after a lengthy and very arduous journey simply connects back to the large room with the water pool across from the river, so continuing along it is not recommended. Once you've reached and collected the artifact by taking the side tunnel, you can jump from the ledge there into the water below and swim to the left for a quick way out. Be fast to get out of the water here, as this large pool can contain a huge number of piranhas along with a few Sarcos. You can then simply follow the path back up and out of the cave.
- If you can bring in a flying mount, simply go to the bottom of the caves and look around for purple crystals at about 10 meters above the water level. You will see a hole and the wall with the Artifact Beacon just behind it. (To be able to fly in caves since version 237.0 you need to have -ForceAllowCaveFlyers enabled in the Server Configuration.) Additionally, this can be accomplished by bringing several grappling hooks. When you reach the bottom of the cave, where you see the stone structure, go to the far side of the area (around 71.7 x 60.8) and look up. You should see some off colored yellow rock, this is the opening to the artifact, simply shoot into the opening. It recommend to bring 5-10 hooks in case of missed shots.
- Another method to reach the Artifact Beacon from the same place than the previous note (using a flying mount to go to the Artifact Beacon through the mentioned hole) is simple and runs in all the servers without need of changing its configuration. Use the Grappling Hook, shot one through the same hole and reel-in to reach the Artifact Beacon).
- As an alternative to the previous note's method, a raptor can be used to climb up and into the hole leading to the artifact.
- There's a glitch to kill piranhas by tricking them to go above water
- Another method is to bring a Baryonyx and jump on the wall to the mentioned hole. It is easy, as you only need two jumps. You don't have to run through the entire cave.
Gallery[edit | edit source]