In ARK Survival Evolved you must eat Food and drink to survive. You'll have to choose among different kinds of plants & meats with varying nutritional properties, including human meat. Ensuring a supply of fresh water to your home and inventory is a pressing concern. All physical actions come at a cost of food, water, and stamina. Long-distance travel is especially fraught with subsistence peril! Inventory Weight makes you move slower, and the day/night cycle along with randomized weather patterns add another layer of challenge by altering the temperature of the environment, causing you to hunger or thirst more quickly. Build a fire or shelter, and craft a large variety of customizable clothing & armor to help protect yourself against locational damage & extreme temperatures using the dynamic indoor/outdoor insulation temperature calculation system!
Weather Patterns[edit | edit source]
Currently, extreme temperatures/weather affects the players' water meter. As of the time of writing, there are seven easily recognizable weather events:
- Heat events, which drastically increase the temperature of the whole island by between 16-28 °C / 30-50 °F, and as a result cause faster dehydration and health damage at or above roughly 50 °C.
- Cold events, which are the exact opposite of heat events, drastically decrease the temperature, again by 16-28 °C / 30-50 °F causing higher food consumption and at sub freezing temperatures health damage (careful in those mountains).
- Snow, dropping the temperature even further in the snow mountain and surrounding areas. Note you cannot avoid snow by flying above the clouds.
- Rain, which irrigates crops, refills water consumption, and allows the player to fill water containers like waterskins from anywhere outside. Rain also slightly decreases the temperature of the island, by only 3-5 °C / 5-10 °F. Note you cannot avoid rain by flying above the clouds.
- Fog, which seems to do nothing aside from reducing player vision immensely, which is plenty dangerous as is. Fog also makes clouds lower and thicker, so flying at high altitude is extra difficult due to obstructed vision.
- Electrical storms, which deactivate electronics and prevent some advanced weapons from firing.
- Wind storms, which only are active on Ragnarok, limits visibility, much like sandstorms just not as severely. Wind storms also increase the wind speed. This can assist players who use Wind Turbines because the storms raise the wind speed past 100%.
- Thunderstorms, which were just added in the newest Ragnarok update, act like regular rain storms but there is the added effect of lightning and thunder.
- And finally, sandstorms, which severely limit visibility, while also draining stamina and adding sand to the player's inventory.
To read more on different status effects caused by weather, go to the Status Effects page.
If playing with the Scorched Earth and Ragnarok DLC, or willing to summon dinosaurs, the Jerboa can make a great companion that will predict certain upcoming weather patterns through body movement and sounds.
If playing on Aberration DLC, weathers do not exist, but instead is replaced by constant Earthquakes, which not only cause items to constantly drop from above based on the region, but potentially prevents Climbing Pick from being swung (and causing those already using it to drop if they attempt to swing to next wall)