||This article is a stub. You can help the ARK: Survival Evolved Wiki by expanding it.
||This article is about content exclusively available in the version on Steam, Xbox One, PS4.|
This creature, item, or feature is not yet released in the version on Nintendo Switch.
The Whip is an item in the Scorched Earth-DLC of ARK: Survival Evolved.
The whip can be used to:
- Pick up items off the ground or harvest resources from plants.
- Disarm another player with a 40% chance of success. The whip requires another strike to pick up what they dropped.
- Force riders to dismount from their creatures.
- Wake an unconscious player up by striking them to reduce their Torpor.
- Stun creatures. If hit on the face they will pause for 3 seconds before resuming what they were doing.
- Encourage tamed creatures to move faster, including the ability to force overweight creatures to take a few steps.
- Force tamed or wild flying creatures to land
- Make a tamed "wandering disabled" Doedicurus mine a rock nearby.
- Be aware that the disarm component of the Whip will also work on tribe members, even on PvE, so be sure to take care where you aim it
- The whip as shown in inventory appears to be most similar to what is known as an Australian stock whip, as seen by the very long handle. This long handle was to grant leverage to the user, allowing for very quick and nimble cracks, oftentimes on horseback as well as allowing the user to hold it on their shoulder whilst riding a horse. Meanwhile, the whip that is used in the players hand in game is more similar to a bullwhip due to its short handle. These were/are mainly used by Americans and Mexicans, their short handle allowing for a heavier whip, and thus louder cracks, although at a slower rate.
- The fact that the whip disarms players is likely a reference to Indiana Jones, as Indiana Jones uses a whip to disarm an opponent's gun in the first movie.
|For a side-by-side comparison of all weapons, see the Weapons page! For a comparison of reload and draw times, see Weapon Mechanics!|